Distinguished
Apr 3, 2003
Hi all

I'm doing a small and inexpensive upgrade. I am buyin the following:
Epox 8RDA+
Barton 2500
2x 256MB DDR 3200
My existing drive is a 80G WD SE

The question is that I have a Gainward GeForce 3 and have the choice of keepin it or paying a few bucks in for a FX5200. I know it is a crappy card but I don't want to spend that much. Are there any reasons to do this or should I stick with the old card? It's been doing fine in my P3 800Mhz. I'm not after a high score in 3DMark. I just want to play the normal games. (Bonus if Half Life 2 works fine) My resolution will be 1024x768 (800x600 in most 1st person games)

Thanks so long

In what direction, and at what speed, do you have to fly (At perfect see level, and at the widest part of the earth) to see the sun rising forever?

tombance

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2002
Stick with the GF3 for sure because the FX5200 will probably be a downgrade. If it plays all current games, dont upgrade until a game such as HL2 comes out that requires you to upgrade.

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=6752830" target="_new">Yay, I Finally broke the 12k barrier!!</A>

seven6

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2003
Can't say I know much about the GeForce 3, but a guy in my office just bought an FX5200 and he likes it a lot. It also seems to preform pretty well in Starwars Galaxies and Black Hawk Down. Although I think he had a GeForce 2mx.(32 meg) So about anything was an improvement.

daddywags214

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2003
Don't bother with the upgrade. It's not worth $120. As for your sig, you'd have to fly west at 994 mph at the equator. Looking eastward from the plane (you'd have to choose the right starting time, of course) you'd see the sun rising forever. Of course, altitude factors into this equation. The minimum altitude necessary to see the curvature of the Earth's surface is 69,000 ft (Coincidentally, at the equator, one longitudinal degree is 69 miles). Any higher and the sunrise viewpoint would change. Therefore the altitude would have to remain constant for the ceaseless view of the sun to remain at its current (prospectively speaking, anyway) viewpoint. However, at sea level (I'll assume your sig contains a typo), the question of altitude would not matter. Of course, at the equator, at sea level, you'd crash.

These days, no matter what company you like, be it <b>nVidia, ATi, or whatever,</b> no matter how logical your reasons, you're labeled an <b>idiot</b> or a <b>fanboy</b>, or <b>both.</b>

coolsquirtle

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2003
"you'd have to fly west at 994 mph at the equator. Looking eastward from the plane (you'd have to choose the right starting time, of course) you'd see the sun rising forever. Of course, altitude factors into this equation. The minimum altitude necessary to see the curvature of the Earth's surface is 69,000 ft (Coincidentally, at the equator, one longitudinal degree is 69 miles). Any higher and the sunrise viewpoint would change. Therefore the altitude would have to remain constant for the ceaseless view of the sun to remain at its current (prospectively speaking, anyway) viewpoint. However, at sea level (I'll assume your sig contains a typo), the question of altitude would not matter. Of course, at the equator, at sea level, you'd crash."

BORING LOL joke joke~~~~~~

keep your GeForce 3 and pick up a 5900Ultra when their $100 lol

Proud Owner the Block Heater
120% nVidia Fanboy
PROUD OWNER OF THE GEFORCE FX 5900ULTRA <-- I wish this was me
I'd get a nVidia GeForce FX 5900Ultra... if THEY WOULD CHANGE THAT #()#@ HSF

craqon

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2003
Thanks you all.

Daddywags214, did you actually go and work that question out. You have too much time on your hands. Dammit. Now I have to get a new signature.

Here's my cards detals for interests sake: http://www.gainward.com/c-1.html?id=48

It costed the same as a MX440, but kicked it's butt so bad. It even does pixel shading. At last I could run the whole of 3DMark and see all the tests. :)

Thanks again. I'll keep the GeForce3.

In what direction, and at what speed, do you have to fly (At perfect see level, and at the widest part of the earth) to see the sun rising forever?

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
LOL! I tried using Google but couldn't find anything:( and I sure as hell wasn't going to work it out!

Oh, and I agree with not getting a FX5200.

"Mice eat cheese." - Modest Mouse

"Every Day is the Right Day." -Pink Floyd<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Willamette_Sucks on 07/28/03 03:55 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

daddywags214

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2003
HAH! That took me me like 3 minutes to figure out. I knew all of the statistics that fit into the equation. And I forgot to mention that since one longitudinal degree at the equator is indeed 69 miles, to keep up with the rising sun at 69,000 ft, you'd have to proportionally increase your speed by an exponential factor of 69, all in all going much faster than the initial 994 mph. But 994 mph would work at sea level.

You see, the Earth's rotational speed at the true surface (also know as sea level) is 994 mph. That's where the speed comes from. The equator is theoretically the "widest" part of the elliptical Earth. Flying westward would slow and eventually stop the "sunrise," whereas eastward would speed it up. However, to actually SEE the sunrise you'd have to be looking eastward.

One more thing craqon: <b>I'M A GENIUS.</b>

These days, no matter what company you like, be it <b>nVidia, ATi, or whatever,</b> no matter how logical your reasons, you're labeled an <b>idiot</b> or a <b>fanboy</b>, or <b>both.</b>