What card would you reccomend to replace my RX550?

RoidoRidori

Prominent
Aug 1, 2017
Hello, i have an HP compaq 6005 pro microtower. These are the specs:
HP 3047h mobo
AMD Phenom 2 X4 B97
RX550 Asus 2gb
6gb DDR3 1333mhz cl9 RAM
320W PSU
The mobo is running on a legacy bios
Which card would you recommend to upgrade rx550? My budget is around 140$. My PSU doesn't have a 6 pin power connector and i don't know how to replace it so i'll work within the limitations.

Also, I do want the likelyhood of the card actually working to be very high. Maybe this is a bit obvious but i'd hate to waste a huge wad of cash on something that i won't be able to use.

I know the CPU might be a bottleneck for whatever card i get, but i'd ask of you to please don't comment with "get a new PC, PSU, CPU" or other such things. If i could just go out and throw infinite cash at PC stores i wouldn't need to ask for advice at a tech site. Thanks for your understanding, i appreciate any response.

Solution
A GTX 1050 or an RX 560 (watch out for extra power requirements on most cards) would be a reasonable upgrade for you. Otherwise you don't really have an upgrade path with that kind of hardware. Honestly, I'd go looking for a GTX 1050. You have less of a risk of getting a card that requires a 6 pin, current cost puts it only $15 or so above your budget. Right now is a pretty terrible time to buy a graphics card. On Newegg you are looking at $140 for the least expensive RX 560 and $150 for the GTX 1050. There is always a used option though. You might not be keen on going backwards in GPU generations, but you can consult the GPU chart ( https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html ) and see what is older tech in the 1050...
A GTX 1050 or an RX 560 (watch out for extra power requirements on most cards) would be a reasonable upgrade for you. Otherwise you don't really have an upgrade path with that kind of hardware. Honestly, I'd go looking for a GTX 1050. You have less of a risk of getting a card that requires a 6 pin, current cost puts it only $15 or so above your budget. Right now is a pretty terrible time to buy a graphics card. On Newegg you are looking at $140 for the least expensive RX 560 and $150 for the GTX 1050. There is always a used option though. You might not be keen on going backwards in GPU generations, but you can consult the GPU chart ( https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gpu-hierarchy,4388.html ) and see what is older tech in the 1050 performance range. Some of those cards I know are more reasonably priced... but you are playing the lotto, and almost all of them require at least a 6 pin power connector.

TL : DR The RX 560 or GTX 1050, but be sure to check pictures to make sure you don't need a 6 pin

Solution

RoidoRidori

Prominent
Aug 1, 2017

Ok, thanks. What about BIOS? My Mobo uses legacy bios only, and i\ve been told newer cards don't work on it. I mean, the RX550 does work

TRENDING THREADS