Question What case and motherboard can comfortably fit 2 NVIdia 3090 GPUs?

Lars Ericson

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2013
I have a Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Master motherboard, with an Aorus 2080Ti in the big slot and an EVGA 1060 next to it. The 2080TI is basically a triple-wide card, and the spacing between the 1st and 2nd slots out of 3 on the board accomodate that. However, the 1060 is still butt up against the 2080TI and both cards run hot, i.e. the blower on the 2080TI is about an 1/8th of an inch away from the back of the 1060. This is the parts list.

This gets me to thinking: Suppose I wanted to swap out the 1060 for a 3090? It really seems jam packed in there. The spacing of the slots on this board seems similar to the spacing of 3-slots boards from other manufacturers. Also, next to the slots, the power supply is right there in the case butt up against the 3rd slot.

What case and motherboard do you recommend that would give ample space to 2 3090 cards and would situate the power supply somewhere other than next to the board? Right now my case is a DeepCool Matrexx 55, which standing up puts the power supply nearest the floor on the bottom edge of the card.

Also for my CPU I have a Noctua DH15S cooler. This is quiet but giant and blocks access to two of the RAM slots. I have to uninstall the cooler and regrease the naked CPU if I want to add 2 more memory sticks. Can you recommend a less giant CPU cooler that is just as cool? But not a water cooler, because I am not a very good plumber.

So I am shopping for a bigger case and a motherboard with the slots spaced out so that I can easily accomodate 2 triple-wide hot cards, and a more compact dry CPU cooler.

Lars Ericson

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2013
Last edited: