What case fans should I use?

Haikudere

Reputable
Nov 16, 2015
Hello

So I've been wondering for quite some time now on what case fans should I pick for my Fractal Design Define R5. I will be having a 360mm rad on top as an exhaust and I won't be switching the fans on the rad but for the 2 front intakes and 1 rear exhaust I don't really know what to get... I've been looking at

1. 3x Corsair ML140 Pros
2. 3x Fractal Design Venturi HP-14 PWM fans
3. 2x noctua NF-A14 PWM Fans with either keeping the stock exhaust fan or replacing it with the Venturi HP-14 fan or the ML 140 Pro from Corsair

Please help me out a little, which would be the best fan setup? Or if you have better options feel free to tell me

PS. If this post is in the wrong category I apologize, I wasn't entirely sure where to post this.

Solution
To answer OP who got is experiencing issues posting a reply and instead just PM'd me, I'd get the Noctua fans for front intake and run them at about 80% or so. I'd then set all the exhaust fans (radiator and rear fan) to about 25%. This will help your machine achieve positive pressure while remaining quiet.

I just did some research and it turns out that the Noctua fans are quieter than the Be Quiet! fans I suggested earlier, so you can disregard said Be Quiet! fans. Just get the Noctua ones.
If you're only cooling the CPU with the radiator, 360mm is enough space to keep the fans at near minimum speeds and still have below 50C at load. I would also set the stock exhaust fan to its lowest speed and pick up a pair of Noctua or Be Quiet fans. Click Here to compare my suggested fans. I would run the intake fans at about 80% so that you do not have negative pressure in your case. This means to have at least as much intake as you have exhaust. Having neutral pressure or positive pressure greatly reduces dust buildup over time.

To answer OP who got is experiencing issues posting a reply and instead just PM'd me, I'd get the Noctua fans for front intake and run them at about 80% or so. I'd then set all the exhaust fans (radiator and rear fan) to about 25%. This will help your machine achieve positive pressure while remaining quiet.

I just did some research and it turns out that the Noctua fans are quieter than the Be Quiet! fans I suggested earlier, so you can disregard said Be Quiet! fans. Just get the Noctua ones.

Solution