[SOLVED] What cases can support 480mm radiator in front and 360mm on the top and 140mm radiator on the back ?

Aug 6, 2021
I need a case that can support a 480mm rad on the front or the side, 360mm on the top and
120mm rad on the back, and it should have RGB and tempered glass. Any ideas ?

Last edited:

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Yeah but I need a full tower case, not that super-tower case

Then you're going to have to compromise somewhere. Your radiator requirements are not the radiator requirements of your average full tower case. Your options are a very few, very expensive, absolutely gigantic cases. Even extremely large cases like the Cosmos C700P and the Dark Base Pro 900 only do 420 on the front.

Oxidane

Commendable
Apr 19, 2021
Yeah but I need a full tower case, not that super-tower case

I think you should consider looking into the Corsair 7000X or 7000D.

I know you can fit a single 480mm radiator on the front. In addition, you could fit a 360mm radiator on-top. In this configuration, I am unsure whether or not an additional 120mm can fit in the rear.

If you would be willing to go with a 360mm in the front, a 360mm on-top, and a 120mm in the rear, I know that would fit as shown below:
f1080f95-ce3a-44de-988b-5bdb81a5a87c

However, as you can see, the 360mm radiator in the front is positioned as low as possible in order to allow clearance for the 360mm on-top to be positioned as close to the front as possible. This allows additional clearance for the 120mm radiator in the rear. I am not entirely sure if there would be enough clearance to swap out the 360mm radiator in the front in exchange for a 480mm radiator. If I were you, I would contact a Corsair support member and ask.

Personally, if you want a 480mm radiator, a 360mm radiator, and a 120mm radiator, I would recommend going a different route. The Corsair 7000X/7000D can support triple 360mm radiators. One in the front, one on the side, and one on-top. Then you can still have clearance for a single rear fan (without a radiator).

Oxidane

Commendable
Apr 19, 2021
Does it have RGB and see through panel ?

I am unsure of what you mean of whether or not it has RGB. It comes with four SP140 RGB Elite fans, however, these may or may not be compatible with your radiators. Not to mention, with the amount of radiators you want, you would need to get a lot more fans anyway.

If you go with 120mm, 240mm, 360mm, or 480mm radiators, you will need to get an entirely new set of 120mm fans. For example, if you choose to run triple 360mm radiators (one in the front, one on the side, and one on-top), then you will need to pick up nine completely new 120mm fans as your SP140 RGB Elite fans that come with the case simply will not fit. In addition, if you want to fill out the rest of the case with fans, you could get an additional 120mm/140mm fan in the rear (if you choose to, you could just use one of the SP140 RGB Elite fans that come with the case).

If you go with 140mm, 280mm, or 420mm radiators, then you can use the SP140 RGB Elite fans. With the Corsair 7000X/7000D, you can run dual 420mm radiators (one in the front, and one on-top). However, you will still need to pickup an additional two additional SP140 RGB Elite fans as the case only comes with four. If you want to fill out the rest of the case with fans (rear and side), you could get one 120mm/140mm fan in the rear as well as four 120mm fans on the side.

Please note, if you use a high quantity of fans, you must also consider that the RGB hub / fan controller that comes with the case (Commander Core XT) only supports up to 6 fans. You will need to consider picking up additional controllers and/or fan splitters.

In regards to whether or not the case has a see through panel, well that is a very vague question. Both the 7000X and 7000D have a tempered glass side panel. The main difference between the two cases is that the 7000X has a tempered glass front and top panel, whereas the 7000D uses optimized steel front and top panels that increase the airflow of the case. In my opinion, the 7000X looks more aesthetically appealing (this is purely opinion based and you are allowed to formulate your own opinion), however, that is at the expense of reduced airflow.

corsair-7000d-airflow-icue-7000x-rgb-cases.jpg

This image depicts a 7000D (black version) on the left, as well as a 7000X (white version) on the right.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
I think my question is still: where are you willing to compromise? What features are more important than others? Fitting in all these radiators requires a massive case. More tempered glass means less airflow. Better fans tend to mean less RGB.

Oxidane

Commendable
Apr 19, 2021
What I meant is that is should support 4 120mm fans in front or on the side, 3 120mm on the top and 1 120 or 140mm in the back

The front can support four 120mm fans or three 140mm fans. The side can support four 120mm fans. The top can support three 120mm fans or three 140mm fans. The rear can fit one 120mm fan or one 140mm fan.

And just to note, please consider what USAFRet has mentioned that the number of fans you can support (without radiators) does not directly correspond to the number of radiators you can support. What that means is just because you can fit fans in those position, it does not mean you will have clearance to fill out your case with radiators. For example, you will not have clearance to run dual 480mm radiators in the side and front. This is just an example of what you can't support.

As I previously mentioned, the 7000X/7000D can support triple 360mm radiators (one in the front, one on the side, and one on-top), or it can support dual 420mm radiators (one in the front, and one on-top. There are other radiator formations that you can use, however, the formations that I just mentioned are officially recommended by Corsair.

In regard to wanting a case with good airflow, a high quantity of fans, and good aesthetics:
I personally think the 7000D is the way for you to go. It has good airflow, it looks good (in my opinion not as good as the 7000X, but that is the expense of optimized airflow), and supports a large number of fans. I showed you the pictures of the 7000D and 7000X. It comes down to your personal opinion of whether or not you consider the 7000D aesthetically pleasing.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
What exactly is the hardware involved? From the questions about radiators, I assumed that this was going to be a custom loop, but if we're just talking fans, it would make sense to know what hardware we're actually talking about here. There's no sense in recommending a much larger case and many more fans than you actually need for your hardware.

Aug 6, 2021
Well, I think I’m going for the 7000D, looks nice to me although there’s no tempered glass in front but at least it’s on the side, good airflow, supports many fans , just right in my mind, Thanks for helping me to find my perfect case.

Oxidane

Commendable
Apr 19, 2021
ive got same dilemma.
how many rads have you got?
does the 7000d able to take two 420mm radiators and also some room for a dual resevoir 100mmx100mmx150mm

Yes, the 7000D can have dual 420mm radiators (one on the top and one in the front).

It is possible to install dual XD5 pump/reservoir units on the side, however, you would have the following issues:
  • pump/reservoir units will have to be installed in a shifted position to enable access to top ports (for filling) of the lower pump/reservoir unit
  • top ports on the top pump/reservoir unit will be impossible to access (and you wouldn't be able to install a fan above the pump)

A single XD5 pump/reservoir unit is powerful enough to provide adequate flow through a custom liquid cooling loop of at least four water blocks and three radiators. You will be fine if you use a single XD5 pump/reservoir unit. In addition, if your goal is to have two separate loops, please consider that it will be redundant as its effect on temperatures will be negligible.