What category is steam for cash back credit cards?

I have a USBank Cash+ Visa with a 2% cash back for restaurants, 5% cash back for Electronics store and fast food and 1% off everything else.

https://cashplus.usbank.com/categories/index?quarterId=45
If you want to play with their calculator

I also have a TDAmeritrade credit card that gives a flat 1.65% off everything.

If Steam falls under Electronics Store then I would use the USBank and get 5% off.

If Steam isn't an electronics store then I would use the other card for 1.65% off.

When I call Steam they say I should call the issuer of the card.

When I call the number on the back of the card, they say call Steam and ask for the merchant code, which the Steam reps have no clue what that is.

I know the difference in price here is only 3.35% at best, but these are my first 2 credit cards and I want to use them correctly / get the most money back.

I do pay them off every month in full ... the USBank every week due to a low credit limit but great rewards.

Solution
if the companies are no help, the only thing you can do is a good ol guess and check.

for one month only buy from steam on USBank card. since it is the only purchase, then the % should be obvious.

then you'll know for sure which way it is being labeled. only way i can see if the companies themselves are not being helpful.
The credit card online thingy isn't very easy to read.

First it gives a 1% off everything I buy.

Then if it qualifies for a higher reward it adds them all up and groups them together at the end of the month

It never actually shows its work ... now I know how my math teacher felt lol.

It looks something like this;

Date Store Price Rewards
03/01/2018 POPEYE'S $6.46 $0.06

Then at the end of its month which happens to be the 6th of every month it just shows a whole months total for the 2% and 5% rewards.

03/06/2018 Bonus-Rstrnts, Electronics, Fast Food $457.81 $4.58
03/06/2018 Bonus-Rstrnts, Electronics, Fast Food $231.81 $9.27
03/06/2018 Bonus-Rstrnts, Electronics, Fast Food $49.72 $1.99

One for each cash back group.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
if the companies are no help, the only thing you can do is a good ol guess and check.

for one month only buy from steam on USBank card. since it is the only purchase, then the % should be obvious.

then you'll know for sure which way it is being labeled. only way i can see if the companies themselves are not being helpful.

Solution

I could, but then I'm giving up 5% cash back on fast food and 2% on restaurants for that month.

Well technically 3.35% and 0.35% if I add in the rewards from the TdAmeritrade

It is a solution just not the most elegant.

beers

Distinguished
BANNED
Oct 4, 2012
As per the list above that seems to apply to more 'physical electronics' stores, I wouldn't expect Steam to be covered.

Also if you're looking for a higher rate cash back card the Discover deal matching your first year has 10% rotating categories (5% + 5% match).