What category is this cable?

Lekro44

Reputable
Oct 28, 2015
Hello,

We are running cables in a factory and using these as patch cables but I have trouble determining the actual category of it. (I'm just curious) As for the solid wall cables, the cable itself is CAT7 (printed on it) and the SL jack we use is CAT6(also printed on it).
Picture of SL jack: SL Jack

Picture of the tool we use to put it on: AMP tool

As for the patch cable.
This is whats on the pack: IMG
This is what the connector looks like: IMG
This is whats printed on the cable itself:IMG
And finally this is a sticker on the cable near the connectors: IMG

Can anyone tell me what exactly I'm working with? :D

Doctor Rob

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
Looks like you have CAT7 wiring in the wall kinda thing and the rest is CAT6 stuff.. Cat 7 is setup for like 10Gbit networks at a full run.. CAT 6 wiring is limited to 1Gbit (but can go 10Gbit for short runs)...

Doctor Rob

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
and its stranded cabling (have to use special tools to deal with stranded wire) I always use solid cabling and have yet to use cat 7 cabling due to cost and such.. but if I were future proofing the office I would use cat 7 wiring in the wall and probably still use some cat 6 wiring to save costs.. for things like printers and such.

Lekro44

Reputable
Oct 28, 2015
Thanks but this still won't justify the printing on the cable for me. It states CAT7. Why is that? Is it because the cable is indeed CAT7 but the connector is CAT6, making the whole patch cable qualify for CAT6 only?

Doctor Rob

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
OH I re-looked at your cabling image you had sent.. its cut off a bit but it looks like that is AWG 26? IF so that's NOT cat 7 (or any other good one I have seen) Cat 6 and 7 should be AWG 23 (larger copper diameter) I have seen some companies sell the smaller diameter wiring to save money but its not proper wiring at all. IF so I would really recommend getting some new cat 6 (or 7) copper wiring being it looks like you have cat 6 stuff I would save the money and get good copper cat 6 wiring unless you really need 10Gbit networking.

TRENDING THREADS