[SOLVED] What causes a lot of Aliasing in my games? But for others it's fine.

hellzer

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2013
So I been having this issue for ages where some of my games, especially those that don't have Anti-Aliasing settings look jagged and with a lot of lighting flickering.
Like this for example: View: https://i.imgur.com/L0mNrIU.png
(flickering is noticeable during motion however)
good example of shimmering/flickering here:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IY29tikaXok&ab_channel=shimmeraliasing

However, funny thing is that throughout the years my PC builds have changed. Different CPU's, GPU's, monitor panels, cables, BIOS updates... you name it. The only thing that hasn't - is where I live. Could this be some static issue or some weird phenomenon that would explain this?
I've talked to many of my friends and their games look way better than my. Same games! And my system specs are not worse than theirs. In fact I even bought a RTX 3080 recently and now play on 4K res... Yet my games still have that issue and don't look nowhere how they should.
Nvidia 3D settings that indicate that they can force certain settings - never do... Except for frame limits.

Solution
was this actually running at 1080p when recorded?
you can't show anything relevant if you are taking 4K video and uploading it at 1080p.
the conversion will reduce a lot of visual aspects.

even in this video though i don't see much abnormal.
a bit of aliasing on some of the poles and some regular shimmering on the ground.

another thing to consider is that GTA V is 8 years old and wasn't even the best looking available when it was released.
maybe try something with better visuals like Kingdom Come: Deliverance or Cyberpunk 2077 and see if you can record any noticeable graphical issues.
I've talked to many of my friends and their games look way better
just talking/asking someone if they see visual artifacts or aliasing doesn't...
was this actually running at 1080p when recorded?
you can't show anything relevant if you are taking 4K video and uploading it at 1080p.
the conversion will reduce a lot of visual aspects.

even in this video though i don't see much abnormal.
a bit of aliasing on some of the poles and some regular shimmering on the ground.

another thing to consider is that GTA V is 8 years old and wasn't even the best looking available when it was released.
maybe try something with better visuals like Kingdom Come: Deliverance or Cyberpunk 2077 and see if you can record any noticeable graphical issues.
I've talked to many of my friends and their games look way better
just talking/asking someone if they see visual artifacts or aliasing doesn't mean much.
in the heat of a game some may not notice it and some may just not be as OCD as others.

to actually compare to what someone else may be seeing you would have to record the exact same section of the map, from the same angles, with the exact same settings(including resolution, refresh rate, in-game settings, and NCP settings) on both systems.

Last edited:
Reactions: boju
Solution

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Draw distance, not actually antialiasing since edges look fine in the medium. No external setting (NvidiaCP, Rivatuner etc) will improve that and at mercy of the game's engine and view distance settings when textures begin to render. Newer games are getting better in this regard as hardware becomes more capable.

hellzer

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2013
The screenshot is a bit older and is at 1080p. I started playing 4K just recently. Before it was strictly 1080p.
Resolution helped a lot to battle this issue but there is still those effects...

hellzer

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2013
There isn't anything else so maybe you're looking too hard.

Im 18yrs on steam and lot more years before that gaming, I've played many and have come across this many times. It's easily dismissible because games aren't perfect.

Maybe it is a software that makes the games that are being recorded or screenshotted look way better than what that player actually experiences.

Maybe it is a software that makes the games that are being recorded or screenshotted look way better than what that player actually experiences.
i still haven't seen you show any evidence of these terrible graphics you are describing.
so possibly it is all in your head?

posting a link to someone else's gameplay really doesn't help prove anything for or against your complaints.
and the image and the video you originally linked do not show any examples of extreme graphical issues, or any noticeable issues at all.