What causes a recorded video to be dark?

Brian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003
Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.dvd.software (More info?)

I know I might have asked this question before, but still am seeking a
reason for it.
I've tried different video editors and each time I get a video
displaying a dark picture.
I'm feeding the video directly from a TV Decoder into an analog to
digital converter (ADVC-100) then to a firewire card and into Media
Video Pro to the hard drive.
There is a small improvement in the picture when burning the video to
a DVD and watching the video on TV.

If anyone wanted an example of the dark picture I could e-mail a jpg
from a video frame. It's less than 200k

Regards Brian

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.dvd.software (More info?)

what are you monitoring the picture on? pc / tv?

leslie

"Brian" <bclark@es.co.nz> wrote in message
> I know I might have asked this question before, but still am seeking a
> reason for it.
> I've tried different video editors and each time I get a video
> displaying a dark picture.
> I'm feeding the video directly from a TV Decoder into an analog to
> digital converter (ADVC-100) then to a firewire card and into Media
> Video Pro to the hard drive.
> There is a small improvement in the picture when burning the video to
> a DVD and watching the video on TV.
>
> If anyone wanted an example of the dark picture I could e-mail a jpg
> from a video frame. It's less than 200k
>
> Regards Brian

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.dvd.software (More info?)

"Brian" wrote ...
> I know I might have asked this question before, but still am seeking a
> reason for it.
> I've tried different video editors and each time I get a video
> displaying a dark picture.
> I'm feeding the video directly from a TV Decoder into an analog to
> digital converter (ADVC-100) then to a firewire card and into Media
> Video Pro to the hard drive.
> There is a small improvement in the picture when burning the video to
> a DVD and watching the video on TV.

1) Be sure the black level setting on the ADVC-100 is set
properly for your location/video standard (0 vs 7.5 IRE)

2) The picture will ALWAYS look darker on the computer
screen than it does on a regular TV. The screens have very
different gamma curves. Do NOT use the computer screen
to judge brightness, contrast (or even color, for that matter).

igor

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2003
Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.dvd.software (More info?)

> I've tried different video editors and each time I get a video
> displaying a dark picture.

Is the image normal when you hook the camera straight to the TV?

Brian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003
Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.dvd.software (More info?)

On Both. The Television improves the brightness of the picture a bit.

Regards Brian

On Fri, 07 May 2004 15:28:37 +1200, Brian <bclark@es.co.nz> wrote:

>On Both. The Television improves the brightness of the picture a bit.
>
>Regards Brian
>
>"kay & wand" <l_wand@REMoVEaBUSehotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>what are you monitoring the picture on? pc / tv?
>>
>>leslie
>>
>>"Brian" <bclark@es.co.nz> wrote in message
>>> I know I might have asked this question before, but still am seeking a
>>> reason for it.
>>> I've tried different video editors and each time I get a video
>>> displaying a dark picture.
>>> I'm feeding the video directly from a TV Decoder into an analog to
>>> digital converter (ADVC-100) then to a firewire card and into Media
>>> Video Pro to the hard drive.
>>> There is a small improvement in the picture when burning the video to
>>> a DVD and watching the video on TV.
>>>
>>> If anyone wanted an example of the dark picture I could e-mail a jpg
>>> from a video frame. It's less than 200k
>>>
>>> Regards Brian

Maybe the video output gain on your decoder needs turning up?

Brian

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2003
Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.dvd.software (More info?)

I'm using PAL for the ADVC-100 so there is no setup for 0 vs 7.5 IRE.
Playing the video back on TV using DVD there is a small improvement in
the picture.

Regards Brian

igarber@optonline.net (Igor) wrote in message news:<564bfe95.0405050908.6cc411c9@posting.google.com>...
> > I've tried different video editors and each time I get a video
> > displaying a dark picture.
>
> Is the image normal when you hook the camera straight to the TV?

I would guess that the darkness could be caused by sync
compression..When the device locks in on the video,it has to
synchronize with the video sync pulses..If the process reduces the
amplitude of the sync level at all, darkness will result..
Just a guess..
jolphil

Archived from groups: rec.video.desktop,alt.video.dvd.software (More info?)

it is the gamma of the computer monitor. If you want it to look like your
video monitor you'l l need to adjust it.