Question What causes major FPS lag after 5-10 minutes of gaming on laptop ?

Apr 2, 2023
My friend has a laptop , and whenever he plays on it , at the beginning everything is fine and smooth but after 5 to 10 minutes the fps drops heavily and by heavily, I mean it just goes to 10 fps from 60 to 70 fps and stays at 10 fps for 2 - 3 minutes then comes back to normal. I have checked his gpu and cpu temperatures while playing and during the fps drops, but nothing seems to be revealed, I also made him do the disk scan via cmd prompt to check for damages in disk but that seems to be clear , honestly I don't know where the problem lies . We have tried everything we could up to our knowledge level and we need some help.
His laptop specs -
CPU - Intel Core i5 - 8250U CPU @1.60 Ghz , 1801 Mhz , 4 cores
GPU - Nvidia Geforce MX110
RAM - 8 GB (not dual channel memory i think)

DaleH

Prominent
Mar 24, 2023
My friend has a laptop , and whenever he plays on it , at the beginning everything is fine and smooth but after 5 to 10 minutes the fps drops heavily and by heavily, I mean it just goes to 10 fps from 60 to 70 fps and stays at 10 fps for 2 - 3 minutes then comes back to normal. I have checked his gpu and cpu temperatures while playing and during the fps drops, but nothing seems to be revealed, I also made him do the disk scan via cmd prompt to check for damages in disk but that seems to be clear , honestly I don't know where the problem lies . We have tried everything we could up to our knowledge level and we need some help.
His PC specs -
Ram - 8 GB (not dual channel memory i think)
Have you observed the performance monitor when the problem occurs? That's the first place I'd look. 8GB of memory would seem to be low.

Apr 2, 2023
Nvm actually we have done that and ram didnt look like an issue , memory usage was optimal. We also checked all the on the going services in details tab in task manager but couldn't find anything of value over there. Also the games we tested upon weren't that high end too , for example brawlhalla (its a 2D platform fighter game) which should run absolutely smoothly on his laptop, we also tried roblox, fortnite and the problem remains the same everywhere.

Last edited:

Richj444

Prominent
May 25, 2022
His PC specs -
Ram - 8 GB (not dual channel memory i think)
I would go with either thermal throttling, which you say isn't a problem, or probably more likely running out of video ram. Can you install Afterburner or a similar program to monitor the video ram? I have experienced the same thing at times and had to turn down some settings to reduce the usage in order to make that behavior go away.

Apr 2, 2023
Nah thermal throttling doesnt seems to be the problem we ran multiple games with MSI after burner and the temps of cpu were around 75 degree celsius, and gpu was around 82 degrees.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2023
I would go with either thermal throttling, which you say isn't a problem, or probably more likely running out of video ram. Can you install Afterburner or a similar program to monitor the video ram? I have experienced the same thing at times and had to turn down some settings to reduce the usage in order to make that behavior go away.
Hmm didnt monitor Vram, i will work on it. Also lowering graphics to bare minimum doesnt help the same thing just keeps happening.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2023
Also here is how my friend expresses the lag he experiences :- While using a heavy application such as video games if i keep the battery at best performance then the game will run at 60 fps smoothly for a while but after some time my whole laptop starts lagging and the fps drops to 10fps or below this stay for like 2-3min and then it stops lagging and runs smoothly again and then this keeps repeating every 5min or so. Not only does the game start lagging but the whole laptop becomes slow and starts lagging a lot but if i keep at better performance rather than best then this doesent usually happen but the game doesent run that smoothly as it would give me around 30fps but rarely it can also happen when i keep at better performance. When I keep my battery at best performance while just watching youtube and searching on the internet then it doesent happen it only happens when I use heavy applications. Also I have an external fans which reduces this now if i dont use the external fan then this lag happens way quicker than with fan.

Now it sounds like it is the case of thermal throttling from the above paragraph but when we checked temperature everything was normal.

LeviTech

Commendable
Sep 27, 2021
Install HWinfo and check if it gets thermal throttling in YES while gaming.
I've had an Asus laptop with that CPU and sometimes it spikes so fast that is not visible at MSI afterburner but in HWinfo the line of thermal throttling was YES.

Reactions: Richj444
Apr 2, 2023
Install HWinfo and check if it gets thermal throttling in YES while gaming.
I've had an Asus laptop with that CPU and sometimes it spikes so fast that is not visible at MSI afterburner but in HWinfo the line of thermal throttling was YES.
Ok will check it out and report back here! And also if it is the case of thermal throttling then what can be the counter play ? Ig the best thing would be to open up the laptop and clean up dust clogs right, because we went through entire details list in task manager and nothing seems to be putting pressure on the cpu or gpu, so the problem probably lies in hardware?

Last edited:
Reactions: LeviTech