[SOLVED] What causes Micro-Stuttering while gaming? Running out of options...

cascoh

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2013
I've ran out of options to try and solve this problem I cant seem to crack it down, hopefully I have it here. I seem to have this 30ish second stutter in majority of the AAA games I play (CS:GO,MW, VALORANT) etc. I've done some research to try and solve it and seems like everything I try doesen't work. Its easy to notice in game and its driving me nuts, my audio does not stutter at all. Nothing in my PC is overheating with all great temps even when streaming. I've read some things online say it could be a sign of a dying PSU, I've had mine for 5 years with no problems with it up until this issue. Whats the lifespan of one? Hopefully thinking this could be the issue.
Things I've done:
-Fresh Install Windows; "Remove everything" Option
-Use CCLeaner & Malwarebytes to clean drives & registry
-Defrag HDD's
-Changed to High Performance power plan
-Updated all Motherboard(BIOS as well) & GPU drivers
-Disabling OC's on my CPU & GPU running & stock speeds (XMP enabled)
-CMOS Battery Reset
-Direct power from the wall instead of a power strip.
-Configure NVIDIA settings and play on performance mode
-Ran 24 hour stress test with no issues, also did a Memtest for 24 hours
-Use in the cmd "sfc /scnanow"
BUILD:
Ryzen 3900X
ASUS RTX 2070 Super
16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB @3200Mhz
ASUS ROG Strix x470-f
Corsair HX750 (Older model with blue sticker)

Any suggestions would help at this point as I was thinking it was a software issue until I did all the options I've done. If you made it this far, thank you!

Solution
Some things to try:

If you used a "helpful" auto update your drivers program, oops. Can install the wrong drivers at times. Can be a source of problems.

On the high performance power plan, disable PCIe link state power management.

Disable any overlays.

Disable background processes (drive indexing, etc) The list for this can be extensive depending on what you want to sacrifice in Windows "features" and "usability" for Windows built in spyware, errrr ... helpful telemetry programs!. Some people may disagree, but a 3rd party program like W10Privacy may be helpful for this.

Install the bare drivers. No Geforce experience/3d stuff, etc. Disable windows built in video background recording.

Run a program in the background to...
1st question would be: what refresh rate are you targeting?

Memory in a 1x 2x or 4x config?

System cooling not just for CPU, but case/motherboard as well adequate to the task?

Do you mean constant 30th of a second stutter, stutter occurs roughly every 30 seconds, or 30 second lockup? "30ish second" could be taken as any of above.

cascoh

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2013
1st question would be: what refresh rate are you targeting?

Memory in a 1x 2x or 4x config?

System cooling not just for CPU, but case/motherboard as well adequate to the task?

Do you mean constant 30th of a second stutter, stutter occurs roughly every 30 seconds, or 30 second lockup? "30ish second" could be taken as any of above.
144hz
8x8 - 2 8gb sticks
Stock cooler @ stock speeds max gaming it hits 55c
Max case fans as possible - 6 120mm fans
The stutter happens every 45 seconds ish...

Last edited:
Some things to try:

If you used a "helpful" auto update your drivers program, oops. Can install the wrong drivers at times. Can be a source of problems.

On the high performance power plan, disable PCIe link state power management.

Disable any overlays.

Disable background processes (drive indexing, etc) The list for this can be extensive depending on what you want to sacrifice in Windows "features" and "usability" for Windows built in spyware, errrr ... helpful telemetry programs!. Some people may disagree, but a 3rd party program like W10Privacy may be helpful for this.

Install the bare drivers. No Geforce experience/3d stuff, etc. Disable windows built in video background recording.

Run a program in the background to regularly clean the intelligent standby list.

Dedicate a cooling fan for you VRMS.

Setting limits with NvidiaProfileInspector can be helpful to override if in game settings not available (liek disabling antu-aliasing). Can also set hard limits on frame rates, so no resources wasted on setting up/ drawing frames that will never be displayed. This sometimes helps frame pacing consistency.

Solution