what certificates should i be aiming to get

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rich Piano

Commendable
Mar 25, 2016
Hi There

Need some advice can you tell me what you think would be good certificates i should get, ITIL vmware(which one to start off with) different Microsoft ones etc. i want to go into system admin and plan to get into networking next year so CCNA too but would be good to know what everyone thinks. Currently i have just over 3 years experience as IT support.

nickk47

Prominent
Sep 14, 2017
I am not quite in a similar boat as you. I am a recent electrical engineer graduate, but I am wanting to get into the IT field. I wish I could go back in time and re-do my bachelors in something more IT...

I am hesitant to go back to school for a diploma on computer science or something more related to computers, because I want to get into the field fast, and it feels redundant to me. I feel that my background in electrical engineering is relevant enough to cover a lot of basic knowledge, and I have worked with computers since I was a wee little lad. I guess you could say I am a little above the knowledge of a typical computer enthusiast/hobbyist.

I recently took the CompTIA IT Fundamentals, their most basic certificate without any studying, and passed with flying colors. It was a bit too easy.
I am planning on taking the CompTIA A+ or the Network+, but also found that many jobs also have preferences to Microsoft certificates such as the MTA, MCSA, and MCSE.
As for experience, I have 1 year in managing/supporting Point-Of-Sale systems in a small chain of retail stores.

But my biggest dilemma is whether IT people will take me seriously if I have a bachelor's in engineering along with some certifications. What's your thought on this OP?

Rich Piano

Commendable
Mar 25, 2016

hey bro so with regards to your question don't worry about what anyone else thinks. What you will need to do is take up the foundation/fundamental certificates for me what i found was that i would need microsoft(search MTA and MCSA certs begin with MTA) vmware(search vmware data center virtulization associate level then do professional level) and ITIL. The Microsoft and vmware are pretty key as you will most likely use those the most. send me your email and i will send you the road map i made for my self for next year. also with regards to others taking you serious honestly man the guy i work with who is my manager has no idea what he is doing its shocking how bad he is but he still has a job and calls him self an ict manager) so its all about building the connections you can always learns things but if you don;t know people who will give you the opportunity to learn.

nickk47

Prominent
Sep 14, 2017
Thanks for the detailed reply. I really appreciate having someone to talk to about this. I will PM you my email, definitely interested in that.

I love working with computers...it's what I should have studied in the first place!! Anyways, it's not too late to dive into it, and as long as I am willing to learn.

Status
Not open for further replies.