[SOLVED] What combination should I use to upgrade the memory of my HP 14-R024TX?

May 25, 2017
I am planning to upgrade the memory of my HP 14-R024TX laptop. It currently has the stock 2GB that it came with.

I have a couple of questions:

Does the motherboard support flex mode? In other words, will it have dual channel memory if I go with 8GB+2GB memory sticks? I cannot find information on this in the manual.

Is it better to have 2x4GB instead of 8GB+2GB even though the latter has 2GB more capacity? I am not even sure if the motherboard supports the 8GB+2GB configuration, I checked the manual and it does not seem to be listed as one of the supported configurations.

I am aware that the laptop supports up to 16GB (2x8GB).

I would like to hear other people's thoughts on the matter. Thank you.

Solution
you would be better off going 2 x 4gb and remove the extra 2gb as then the ram would run in dual channel and be faster. You potentially run into problems running mismatched ram.

So it is Possible to put one of 2GB and other of 4gb to get 6GB?

Yes, it will work.

However, it will be better to add one 4GB stick.
The motherboard will then use "dual-channel" support.
When it writes 8 bits (one byte) to the RAM, 4 bits will go to one stick, and, at the SAME time, the other 4 bits will go to the other stick. So, rather than taking 8 "cycles" to write 8 bits to one stick, it will take only 4 "cycles" to write the 8 bits to the two sticks -- your RAM will seem to be "faster" than if you only had 6 GB.

Colif

Win 11 Master
you would be better off going 2 x 4gb and remove the extra 2gb as then the ram would run in dual channel and be faster. You potentially run into problems running mismatched ram.

So it is Possible to put one of 2GB and other of 4gb to get 6GB?

Yes, it will work.

However, it will be better to add one 4GB stick.
The motherboard will then use "dual-channel" support.
When it writes 8 bits (one byte) to the RAM, 4 bits will go to one stick, and, at the SAME time, the other 4 bits will go to the other stick. So, rather than taking 8 "cycles" to write 8 bits to one stick, it will take only 4 "cycles" to write the 8 bits to the two sticks -- your RAM will seem to be "faster" than if you only had 6 GB.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Noteb...ions/HP-14-Support-RAM-Upto-6-gb/td-p/6176311

you get more benefit from 2 x 4gb than the extra 2gb of ram will achieve really.

Solution