What comes first SSD or HDD

ndizzle07

Honorable
Jan 21, 2013
im building a PC. im placing the order as soon as I figure this out

Im going to wait 2 weeks on ordering my keyboard, mouse and either the HDD or SSD

initially I just want to install my OS and some games(LoL and S2). Id like to order my SSD first then 2 week later order my HDD. once I have an HDD im going to hoard music and movies but that's definitely not urgent like installing some games would be.

If you were in my shoes what would you order first the SSD or HDD. regardless im going to order the other parts 2 week later.

this is my build
PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/zr0g
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/zr0g/by_merchant/
Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/zr0g/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Best Buy)
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($124.99 @ Microcenter)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($88.98 @ Outlet PC)
Storage: OCZ Vertex 4 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($114.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7950 3GB Video Card ($279.99 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (Gunmetal/Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($101.75 @ TigerDirect)
Power Supply: OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W 80 PLUS Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($65.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Monitor: Asus VS247H-P 23.6" Monitor ($164.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 Wired Gaming Keyboard ($115.00 @ Amazon)
Mouse: Logitech G400 Wired Optical Mouse ($39.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $1506.58
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)

Solution

When you install Windows on a drive Windows will create a hidden System Reserved Partition. If you have your HDD connected then Windows will mistakenly create the partition on your HDD instead of your SSD. So just leave your HDD disconnected until after installation is complete.
Then you can plug in the HDD and boot into Windows normally. If you don't see your HDD in Windows Explorer then go into Windows Disk Management, initialize the HDD, assign it a drive letter, and Quick format it. It will then be ready to use.

You want to order whatever drive is going to have your O/S on it first.
So in your case you want to order your SSD first.

If you have both drives when it comes time to build your system then don't connect your HDD until after you've installed your O/S on your SSD.

ndizzle07

Honorable
Jan 21, 2013

Ok, thanks for the info I didnt know that. So when Im putting together my PC(first time building one) I install everything except HDD then install my OS. then go back and install my SSD?

Do people normally install games on the SSD or on the HDD?

In my head I figure Im going to put stuff like skype, os, games on the SSD and on the HDD stuff like music, movies, pics and documents/files. Is that correct?

When you install Windows on a drive Windows will create a hidden System Reserved Partition. If you have your HDD connected then Windows will mistakenly create the partition on your HDD instead of your SSD. So just leave your HDD disconnected until after installation is complete.
Then you can plug in the HDD and boot into Windows normally. If you don't see your HDD in Windows Explorer then go into Windows Disk Management, initialize the HDD, assign it a drive letter, and Quick format it. It will then be ready to use.

It depends on the size of your SSD. With a 128GB SSD you should install your most frequently played games on it.

Keep your software on your SSD and your data files on your HDD. So keep your .mp3 files and .avi files on your HDD; but the software that plays your music and video should be on your SSD.

Solution

ndizzle07

Honorable
Jan 21, 2013

Ok thanks! That was a great explanation. very helpful.

Sounds like maybe I should just wait until I have both my SSD and HDD before I build/install everything.

I assume anything initially installed on the SSD can be transferred later to the HDD easily?

Correct. When you get tired of playing a game then copy & paste it to your HDD. When that is done then you can uninstall it from your SSD to free up room for other programs/games.

Just adding to that, there is a nice trick involving the mlink command that allows you to move stuff from one drive to the other with zero OS issues. You basically create a link from one folder to somewhere else, so that the system won't even notice you moved it. That is how I keep all my games installed, leave the ones you play on the SSD and mlink the rest to the HDD. They will all work, but the ones mlink-ed to the HDD will obviously not benefit from the SSD speed.

Fokissed

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010

You can create symlinks using the mklink command in Windows. You can also use Steam Mover to do this with an easy-to-use interface.

ndizzle07

Honorable
Jan 21, 2013

Ok thanks for the tip!

Its a little bit over my head but I will definitely look into it. Will I only mlink when moving programs from the SSD to the HDD? or any programs on my HDD I should mlink?

ndizzle07

Honorable
Jan 21, 2013

Thanks I really appreciate the help. You are a gentleman and a scholar.