[SOLVED] What component is causing this issue?

Oct 6, 2019
So, I did a dumb mistake.
I was playing minecraft and my new rgb strip just came in.

I was really lazy and felt like installing it while my PC was on, as I did i accidently put the vdg 3 pin into a 12v grb header, I didnt notice because how sleep deprived I was, one LED lit up and nothing happened
so i unplugged it and the second i did, my entire pc shut down but my RAM was still lightning and my power led was still showing up, power button didnt do anything.

I unplugged the psu, turned it off and disconnected it from the wall and tried to turn it on after 10 minutes but its the same result.

The second i turn on my PSU i hear a quiet sizzling sound for a second, heres a video: https://streamable.com/x8kne

also, some unidentified lightning flashes for a second, but it instantly turns off [I have no clue where its from since my motherboard doesnt have any LEDs on the top] : https://streamable.com/8qj81

My specs are:
PSU: bequiet system power 7 500w
mobo: gigabyte aorus elite
gpu: rtx 2070 super oc
ram: corsair vengenance pro rgb
cpu: ryzen 5 3600

hope i can get this figured out, thanks in advance

Update: It works fine with the 8pin CPU connector unplugged, if i plug it back in tho it just goes back into that state where the Power LED is on

Last edited:
Solution
This is a tough one and hopefully others will jump in. Check your motherboard closely for any burned patch especially where the RGB connector was but also elsewhere but fingers crossed it is not that serious and at worst hopefully just a motherboard change. If not outward signs then try booting with a barebones and a clear CMOS, just 1 stick of RAM, CPU, ssd and GPU and see if that boots. It could be the motherboard most likely and I think the PSU is just tripping against the safety feature.

A little out of my league so do wait for other comments.
This is a tough one and hopefully others will jump in. Check your motherboard closely for any burned patch especially where the RGB connector was but also elsewhere but fingers crossed it is not that serious and at worst hopefully just a motherboard change. If not outward signs then try booting with a barebones and a clear CMOS, just 1 stick of RAM, CPU, ssd and GPU and see if that boots. It could be the motherboard most likely and I think the PSU is just tripping against the safety feature.

A little out of my league so do wait for other comments.

Reactions: Crosslhs82x2
Solution
Oct 6, 2019
Update: It works fine with the 8pin CPU connector unplugged, if i plug it back in tho it just goes back into that state where the Power LED is on

Okay that actually sounds positive. So what you are saying is that the PC works so long as the 8 PIN CPU power cable is not installed? Do you have a second 8 pin CPU connector with your power supply to check whether that works to rule out a motherboard issue? But to be honest, do not do anything as hopefully others can now also comment as I do not want things to get worse...

TRENDING THREADS