What component is this? And is it replaceable?

aspen1135

Honorable
Mar 14, 2013
Hi there.

I'm repairing a computer for a friend. He has a sony VIO pcg 61313l that fails to charge. I opened up the laptop with the solution in mind: find and replace the D/C power jack (most common laptop problem when it comes to charging problems). But before I put the money down on an replacement part order, I decided to reset the CMOS first before anything. So I tried to carefully pull out what I thought was the bios battery, but the cable pulled out of the little plastic socket insert, rendering the component useless unless replaced.

Now from my common computer knowledge I thought this was the bios battery, but from further inspection to the motherboard layout, it looks like the bios battery is hidden in the top left hinge corner? I'm a little confused as to what part's cables I broke and if it is possible to find a replacement part. Please take a look at the pictures for reference.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pq753wjjt6jcgj1/20140326_142809.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/czy59ficm25og8b/20140326_142819.jpg

Thanks.

These wires looks like they're detached cleanly, you could easily re-insert them in the connector, then reinsert the connector in it's socket.

The round component in the second photo could be a cell battery OR a tiny speaker (for the mobo). You could try to carefully unscrew it and see which is it, or you could just leave the CMOS alone and check your initial idea (power jack).

The two detached, red and black wires, are from the battery pack, which is a rechargeable pair of 1.2V Ni-MH (nickel-metal hydride) cells. Since both terminals appear to have pulled out "cleanly", as house70 said, you should be fine to simply reinsert them into the white plastic connector that is still attached in the motherboard socket.

The second picture, with part EA41T in it, appears to be a speaker. There may be another part, just like it, on the opposite side of the laptop, if it has stereo speakers.

It is normal to find unique seeming battery packs in laptops, as opposed to the button cell you typically find in a desktop computer.

aspen1135

Honorable
Mar 14, 2013

Yeah so the first one was the cmos battery like I initially thought. I've tried re-inserting it but there are two problems: the plastic connector is stuck and a little cracked despite my best efforts of being careful + I don't remember the order of the black and red wires that go in to just re-insert.

Update: Nvm I just got the wires re-seated, orienting it from the other pics. Sony inserted the connector so strong that I can't remove it though. It looks like that batteries going nowhere anytime soon. Its a good thing they last awhile. Thanks though.

I'm going to buy a replacement d/c jack from ebay and try and get it turned on. I think the bios battery wires will hold but if they don't will the computer still boot? It should at least post for me even if the batteries not connected right?

You need to remove the plastic white connector before reinserting the terminals. You will have to sort out the removal of the white plastic connector one way or the other, as a replacement part couldn't be plugged in with it in place. SONY could easily have glued the connector in place, figuring the CMOS battery being rechargeable made it a permanent solution.

Here is the proper orientation of your leads: http://www.bicomtechnologies.com/images/vgn-nw25gf%20cmos%20battery.jpg