What component make desktop noisy?

b22222c

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2014
I want to build a desktop and like to know what component should i spend more money in order to make computer more silent. Processor fan? Thanks

casper1973

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2012
A good quality case and low-noise CPU cooler will usually do the trick. Fractal Design R4 is always a popular choice of case.

Also, if this is a gaming build some graphics cards can get very noisy. Try to avoid "Blower" type cards that vent heat out the back of the case as these are generally louder. Can't give any recommendations without knowing what level of card you are after.

no it's not. but yes it is. i don't know what you are used to. i have a couple of 17db cougar fans for my next project. I have some reasonably quiet corsair fans but not sure of the reliability. antek's seem to fall apart and get loud in a short amount of time. 120mm. i have some 80mm that are quiet and last...??? but the cougars feel like they are built really well. you can look at noctua fans. they even started making some that aren't pink anymore...

b22222c

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2014
Thanks all by the replies, i will build a powerful computer with a 40dls graphic card. Intel I7, 32GB ram, one SSD, thats all i want because the computer is only for work, just need speed, a lot of tabs opened on browser and speed for opening programs and do things fast

Fans below 20 dBA are some of the quietest fans. Purchasing low noise fans and controlling the fan rpm are two of the principle strategies to reduce computer noise. The idea is to control the fans so that the fans are turned up only when extra cooling is needed.

A PC case with sound dampened sides and front is the other main strategy. Also using SSD's instead of hard drives also reduces noise.

I have a Antec P280 case that is very quiet but still manages to cool the system well. Other low noise cases are the Fractal Design Define R4 and Corsair Obsidian Series 550D.

For more information on quiet PC builds, I would direct you to the http://www.silentpcreview.com/ website.

b22222c

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2014
Thanks for your information.
I already knew define R4 but i only need 1 or 2 hard drive bay and define R4 has about 8, so its to big for me because i only need 1 or 2 hard drives, Maybe the Define Mini...

Could i put a "normal" motherboard on a Define Mini? Thanks

b22222c

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2014
Novice question, how the motherboard fill the back case holes? Do i need to search specific boards for each case or there exist some rules i dont know to the board fill all the back holes of the case? Thanks

b22222c

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2014

Hi, i will build a powerful computer but with an inexpensive graphic card because the computer its not for games

b22222c

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2014

Hi, i am talking about the back holes of the case where we plug the usb...

m8h62t.png

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador

For that should the integrated graphics processor that is inside the cpu be good enough,no need for an extra gpu then.

Almost all cases like that one are bound by atx standards,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATX
this means that any atx component should fitt in an atx case.You should look at the specs of the case in question though because some just can use m-atx motherboards (smaller size than atx) and should you go for a m-atx motherboard too.
The same applies to psu's,some cases have maximum lengths for those,again look at the case specs at the site from the manufacturer for these.

casper1973

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2012
If you don't need huge performance from the graphics card there are plenty of fanless cards available at the lower end. These will be completely silent.

Example GT 640 - http://www.ebuyer.com/434611-zotac-gt-640-zone-edition-2gb-ddr3-dual-dvi-mini-hdmi-pci-e-zt-60207-20l

Example R7 250 - http://www.dabs.com/products/sapphire-technology-amd-radeon-r7-250-800mhz-1gb-gddr5-pci-e-3-0-hdmi-ultimate-9CL7.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=ppc%20product%20search&utm_content=Q200&utm_campaign=Components%20and%20Storage%20-%20Graphics,%20TV%20Tuners%20and%20I/O%20-%20Graphics

The hole at the back of the case is a standard size and you will get a backplate with your motherboard that clips in there making sure everything fits.
backplate.jpg

casper1973

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2012

Why does anyone need a GPU when they have IGP? Gaming isn't the only thing a dedicated GPU is used for >.>

Description of the usage is pretty vague. We don't know what programs are being used and maybe they want to run 2 or 3 monitors. We don't know.

Extra information isn't doing any harm. It's up to the OP to take that information and decide if it's relevant.

When selecting your case , just check the specification page for the size of motherboard that are compatible. Most mid- tower sized cases will allow ATX and ITX motherboards. The smaller cases like mini ATX and micro ITX cases are designed speciically for smaller motherboards like the ITX motherboard.