[SOLVED] What component should I upgrade?

Krila

Reputable
May 23, 2020
Hello everyone,

I am looking for advice in regards to upgrading. I would like your opinion on making the right choice to upgrading my system.

Currently Running
Intel i7 6700K (overclocked to 4.5)
Asus GeForce GTX 1080 Ti ROG Strix OC
16GB of Ram
Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 7-EU Intel Z170 So.1151

I'm also gaming on a Acer Predator Z35 (3440x1440, 122Hz)

Which option would make more sense for upgrading at the moment.

1) Leave all components the same and upgrade to RTX 2080Ti.

2) Keep my 1080Ti and upgrade to I9-10900K with new associated motherboard.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
Roger, just making sure.
You should test more games, though, but initially I'm leaning towards your CPU.
Though the benefit from from then changing your CPU to a new one will only improve your performance by the margin that your GPU is not currently being used, in this case between 10-30%. Whether that's worth it, is up to you.

Krila

Reputable
May 23, 2020
Hey Krila o/.

Can I ask why you're upgrading and what games you're playing? I'm just putting it out there, the system you have now is pretty beefy.
Hey FoxVoxDK!

I'm mostly playing AAA games like AC Odyssey or Ghost Recon Breakpoint. Sometimes MMOs like League which isn't a problem really.
But when I play more intense games with full resolution and medium - high settings it's struggling, often not even hitting 30 fps.

Thanks for your reply!

FoxVoxDK

Distinguished
AC Odyssey runs like ass, on most PC's, no offense. :p
Well, you could start by installing RivaTuner/MSI afterburner play a few games where you're struggling to maintain frames, see if your Graphics card is running at 90%++ usage if it is, then you may want to upgrade.
If it's NOT running at above 90%+ usage, then it's your CPU that is not able to keep up.

We'll see from there.

Krila

Reputable
May 23, 2020
AC Odyssey runs like ass, on most PC's, no offense. :p
Well, you could start by installing RivaTuner/MSI afterburner play a few games where you're struggling to maintain frames, see if your Graphics card is running at 90%++ usage if it is, then you may want to upgrade.
If it's NOT running at above 90%+ usage, then it's your CPU that is not able to keep up.

We'll see from there.
Yeah I already have RivaTuner installed. I‘ll do some testing and share the results with you!

Krila

Reputable
May 23, 2020
You may want to disable Vsync while testing, I know it's ugly but just to give the best overall accuracy.
I always turn Vsync off because I use G-Sync.
I just tested in Breakpoint. I get an average between 70-90% usage on my GPU and 60-90% on my CPU, depending on what happens ingame.

FoxVoxDK

Distinguished
Roger, just making sure.
Though the benefit from from then changing your CPU to a new one will only improve your performance by the margin that your GPU is not currently being used, in this case between 10-30%. Whether that's worth it, is up to you.

Solution

Krila

Reputable
May 23, 2020
Roger, just making sure.
ugh yeah its really hard to decide. I really wanna upgrade both components but that’s just too expensive so I wanna decide wisely on what I upgrade. I‘ll do some more testing later but I think you‘re right with your theory that its the CPU that is not holding up with the GPU.