Question What component to upgrade?

stackables

Prominent
Apr 17, 2019
Hi all, looking for some input here. My reason for a component upgrade is that i occasionally run into a crash issue. No BSOD, but my peripherals all shut off except my tower, resulting in me having to hit the back power switch to shut down, as my case powerbutton does nothing in this scenario. These crashes are completely random, and happen anywhere from boot, to idle, to during a game. No amount of stress tests, benchmarks, or diagnostics have given me any light on to why this happens, but switching from my old MSI b350 mortar, into my new Asus b450-f rog strix has significantly cut down these crashes. I feel like i get some bottleneck when playing battlefield 1 or destiny 2, but thats about the most hardware intensive games i play.
What i am looking at upgrading is either my RAM or my CPU, Thank you in advance for any and all input!

Current:
Asus rog strix b450-f
Asus rog strix RTX 2060 06G
Ryzen 7 1700x
AMD wraith prism cpu cooler
Corsair vengeance LPX 2666mhz (2x8GB)
Corsair CX550w (2017)
Corsair crystal 570x

Looking at either the Ryzen 5 2600x (2700x out of budget currently) or Corsair veng LPX 3000/32000 2x8GB

Last edited:

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Please post your full system specs, including PSU etc.

Neither RAM nor CPU are going to net you substantial gains.

3000-3200MHz RAM would be ideal, but the gains are not going to be proportionate to the cost of a replacement.

Similarly, a 2600X's higher clocks would be useful, but disproportionate to the cost vs a 1700X, especially with an overclock.

stackables

Prominent
Apr 17, 2019
Please post your full system specs, including PSU etc.

Neither RAM nor CPU are going to net you substantial gains.

3000-3200MHz RAM would be ideal, but the gains are not going to be proportionate to the cost of a replacement.

Similarly, a 2600X's higher clocks would be useful, but disproportionate to the cost vs a 1700X, especially with an overclock.

Updated part list, pcpartpicker is telling me im around 300w~ usage, so i dont think PSU is an issue, ive given that alot of consideration but even running my old GTX 780ti SC w/ACX which is about 100w above the RTX 2060, i had the same issues

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
Don't listen to pcpp on wattage. It only tells you based on manufacturer TDP.
Which is not always accurate.

Especially when it comes to the GPU with its boost clocks, and if you're overclocking the CPU at all.

However, a 550w PSU should be fine for that hardware.

I wouldn't go looking into upgrading stuff without first finding out what the PC crashing issue is being caused by.

If there are local PC repair shops that do free diagnostics, get it checked out.

I'll put good money on saying you've got a faulty stick of RAM. How long are you running Prime95 Blend test? 24 hours? Have you taken one stick out and tested. Then switch and test again?

I've had a faulty stick only show up after 19 hours on Prime95. F@H exposed the problem in 15 minutes or less.

Faulty RAM is a free RMA under warranty.

stackables

Prominent
Apr 17, 2019
I'll put good money on saying you've got a faulty stick of RAM. How long are you running Prime95 Blend test? 24 hours? Have you taken one stick out and tested. Then switch and test again?

I've had a faulty stick only show up after 19 hours on Prime95. F@H exposed the problem in 15 minutes or less.

Faulty RAM is a free RMA under warranty.

i havent ran prime for that long, maybe 4 hours max, but i havent tested my RAM either. ill give that a go!