[SOLVED] What components could I switch out?

Feb 21, 2019
I have some problems with fps in games such as apex, gta 5, pubg etc. Sometimes it's normal and it doesn't lag, but sometimes it's like gaming with a potato. I think it's cpu or ram problem, but I'm not so good at computers. So what could I change in my pc to make fps better?
Pc specs:
Cpu: Intel Core i5-6400 2.70ghz 14nm
Ram: 8gb Samsung M378A1K43BB1-CPB 1066MHz
Mbd:ASUSTeK H110M-K
Gpu:NVIDIA GTX 1060 6gb GIGABYTE
Hdd: 1tb Western Digital, 1tb Seagate

Solution
Not the best idea to recommend buying i7-6700 instead of i5-6400, especially in 2019. HT is a useful thing, but Paaperino1iq won't have big advantages in games since he has gtx 1060.
I mentioned 2019 because there is i7-8700 with 6 cores and 12 threads. Well, yes, it requires a different motherboard, but it would look like a real upgrade.
Also, not the best idea to recommend to buy a kit of memory since Paaperino1iq already has Samsung 8GB, he might just buy another stick.

So what could I change in my pc to make fps better?
I agree with j121 - make measurements first.
I would check temperatures with MSI Afterburner (download links in the bottom) or PlayClaw. It has in-game overlay, so you can monitor...

j121

Reputable
Nov 9, 2017
you shouldnt have any lag with that system, sure 16 gb wont hurt but 8 gb is enough.
check high disk usage while it lags. open up task manager ctrl alt del and see if you got high disk usage. also download speedfan or core temp and check your temp while gaming. if you are getting to high temp your cpu can be down clocking itself.

rustech

Proper
Apr 28, 2018
Not the best idea to recommend buying i7-6700 instead of i5-6400, especially in 2019. HT is a useful thing, but Paaperino1iq won't have big advantages in games since he has gtx 1060.
I mentioned 2019 because there is i7-8700 with 6 cores and 12 threads. Well, yes, it requires a different motherboard, but it would look like a real upgrade.
Also, not the best idea to recommend to buy a kit of memory since Paaperino1iq already has Samsung 8GB, he might just buy another stick.

So what could I change in my pc to make fps better?
I agree with j121 - make measurements first.
I would check temperatures with MSI Afterburner (download links in the bottom) or PlayClaw. It has in-game overlay, so you can monitor clocks, temperatures and ram usage realtime while playing. Afterburner also allow you to log history (of usage, clocks, temps, etc) to a file, so you can create it and attach here.
If you run out of memory and system uses paging file then it might be a problem because you don't have ssd.

Last edited:
Solution