Question WHAT COMPONENTS DO I NEED FOR AN UPGRADE?

Apr 16, 2019
As of right now, I have a HP office pc ( HP Pavilion 510-p057a), it costs me $1000 AUS. It has an NVidia GTX 750 ti and I really want to upgrade that as it cants run many games the way I want it to. I'm willing to upgrade any parts of the pc to get a good gaming pc that is in a budget of maybe $500-$700 in upgrades. I'm new to upgrading pc but I have common sense, but the ports and specifics of upgrading and things that need to match just confuse me.
Below are some screenshots of the hardware and components.
I'm hoping someone can maybe do all the hard work for me and tell me what graphics cards I could get and what I would have to replace, or at least point me in the right direction and help me understand upgrading pcs better. Thx

This is a link to imgur that has my screenshots of the specs on it

To answer the question effectively we'd need to know what sort of games you're trying to play.

Generally though, I would expect the i7-6700T to still hold up reasonably well, but the GTX 750 ti will struggle a bit on 1080p. For 1080p we'd be looking at graphics card at the level of, or better than, the RX 580 and GTX 1060 3/6GB. Then there are size considerations of your case and the graphics card fitting in it.

It's also highly likely you'd need a new power supply too, as prebuilt PCs' PSUs tend to be on the lower wattage side. A possible complication is that some system integrators use proprietary form factors and connections, so a standard PSU may not fit or work.

Also 8GB of RAM is starting to be the bare minimum for gaming, with many I've seen recommend 16GB. Your page file usage seems high to me, and if data is having to be swapped to the page file it could result in lower performance.

Apr 16, 2019
Generally speaking the games im wanting to play at 1080p are gta 5, fortnite and rainbow six seige, like you said, the cpu is fine to me im mainly just looking for a new gpu, and since my pc is pre built i know im going to need to upgrade other components. The graphics card im looking for is a RTX 2060, and upgrading my ram to 16gbs. But for starters my machine wont tell me what kind of ram i have and if i get an rtx 2060 im going to need to upgrade the psu as well (idk what mine is rn), im also most likely going to need a new motherboard as well. Do you know how i could try and match some components to mine and upgrade my pc, because this is the part that im struggling with. Could you help? And thx for the help so far!

It looks like these may be the specifications for your system...

https://support.hp.com/my-en/produc...es/10734566/model/11975602/document/c05158376

It looks like it has a 180 watt micro-atx power supply, so at the very least that would need to be replaced. It's possible that a new case might be needed as well, depending on how much space it has in there. That case does appear to fit normal-width graphics cards, though you might be limited by the length of the card, or possibly the thickness of its cooler, depending on the case's internal dimensions.

A few things.

RAM: insofar you have an i7-6700T will technically mean it is either DDR3L or DDR4. cryoburner's info suggests it is DDR4 RAM. You could use something like HWiNFO to get the precise RAM installed. However, in that you're aware of needing more RAM it is recommended to replace the current RAM with a new set of RAM. Mixing and matching RAM isn't recommended.

PSU: with cryoburner's info there the PSU definitely needs replacing. If you're set on an RTX 2060, then look towards a quality 500/600W PSU (Seasonic is one I favour generally). It looks like a standard 24-pin on the motherboard, so the normal commercial PSUs should work with it.

Motherboard: I would avoid 'upgrading' the motherboard personally unless the current motherboard is developing a fault. As I see it there's very little to gain from such a move, because you wouldn't be able to upgrade to a newer CPU (so no i9-9900k for example). And I feel once you're at the point of 'upgrading' the motherboard it might be time to consider a new build. Then there's the potential complication of Windows not working, though there is a way around this I understand.

Looking at cryoburner's info again, I do suspect a new case might be necessary. Given there's a disc drive at the front there would limit internal space for any graphics card, and possibly PSU, upgrade. At the least it may restrict air flow.

Apr 16, 2019
So with my current motherboard, I could leave it as is and get an RTX 2060 and my motherboard would handle it? I'm definitely getting a new PSU, would 520 watts be enough and is there any certain cables that I would need to match together or can I just get any PSU and it should work if it has high enough watts? I'm definitely getting a new case because nothing will fit in the one I have now, I have an old case that should be big enough for everything. After using HWiFo to look at my RAM, I have 8GB DDR4 SDRAM (This is a link to imgur that shows in depth all my PC Info and Specs ) With that info, I could just find components that match what I hate already and replace the ones that I need to?

The RTX 2060 shouldn't be an issue. I would suggest double checking the precise model of the card you want to get for its suggested PSU requirement and the power cable requirement; it should be close to 500W PSU and an 8-pin power connector. I would expect a good quality 520W PSU to be fine.

As long as there isn't a locked BIOS (preventing upgrades) then it should be fine.

As mentioned with the RAM it's generally recommended to replace it entirely rather than mix and match. So if you wanted 16GB RAM, then you'd buy 16GB RAM, uninstall the 8GB you currently have, and install the new 16GB RAM. If RAM isn't matched there's a possibility of some performance issues. So keep this in mind.

Not entirely confident in this but the motherboard looks as if it has standard mounting holes. Prebuilt PCs can have their quirks when it comes to upgrading.

That's usually the main catch; don't know until you attempt it. One way to pre-empt is to search for precise PC model and the graphics card you want to upgrade to. If someone else has done it then it should be fine. For whatever reason your PC model doesn't return a lot of results in Google so there's no confirmation either way.

The only other method, and even then it's somewhat inconclusive, is via Userbenchmark to see what graphics cards are paired with the motherboard.

It could also be I'm too cautious in my approach and overthinking the possibilities.

Apr 16, 2019
Ok, so pretty much there's no way of me knowing if its locked or not until i actually try and upgrade it. Well im willing to take that risk.

So far I've found some components that i like and that i think should be alright but im not too sure if they are all going to be compatible with some of the stuff i already have in my pc.

Graphics card
PSU
RAM
Case

Would all of that be compatible and work?

Oddly I can only get to the products via Incognito mode...

Graphics card is fine. RAM is fast DDR4 (though I'm not sure if the highest speeds are supported). Case supports ATX (and smaller) form factor. I would suggest something more recognised as good quality for the PSU though. Any chance of something in a higher tier within your budget from this list? https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1045610-new-psu-tier-list/

I would have suggested a Seasonic PSU, but it looks like the prices in Australia (I assume from the links) are far higher than here in the UK.

The RTX 2060 shouldn't be an issue. I would suggest double checking the precise model of the card you want to get for its suggested PSU requirement and the power cable requirement; it should be close to 500W PSU and an 8-pin power connector. I would expect a good quality 520W PSU to be fine.
I wouldn't be too concerned about the power draw for any RTX 2060 with this system, so long as they get a decent enough PSU. The i7-6700T is a version of the processor designed for lower power draw, with only a 35 watt TDP, so the power needs of their system will likely be a bit lower than that of a typical desktop computer running that card. A 2060 shouldn't draw much more than 160 watts under load, so it's unlikely that all of their components combined would ever exceed 300 watts. Even a higher quality 450 watt model like this Seasonic Focus Gold 450 would likely provide a decent amount of headroom...

https://au.pcpartpicker.com/product...ified-semi-modular-atx-power-supply-ssr-450fm

Or there's the 550 watt version of that PSU for about $20 more.