[SOLVED] What components should I look to upgrading to?

Apr 3, 2020
My knowledge of computers is definitely below average.
So basically I've had this computer for not very long but I bought it second-hand and it's a pretty decent computer but definitely doesn't reach my standards.
I want to be able to play close to nearly every game with no problem, I don't play a lot of Triple AAA Games but in the future I might play some.
Games I play currently are, Borderlands 2, Skyrim, Destiny 2, Fallout 4, GTA 5 Online, Slime Rancher, Tomb Raider, HITMAN.
(The games it struggles with the most is: Borderlands 2, Destiny 2, GTA 5 Online and Hitman).
I also in the future will be upgrading to new monitors, and will only be playing on 1920x1080 75hz.

Here are my current pc specs:
https://www.userbenchmark.com/PCBui...20.420.90155vsS3925-M1.40457.229920.420.90155
(My case is: Meshify S2 Dark Tempered Glass).
(At the moment I'm not too sure what my PSU is, all I know for a fact is that it's 650W).

As you can tell basically everything can be upgraded but at the moment my budget is $1000 (currency is AUD).

Just wondering if I could grab some help regarding upgrading.
I am definitely going to learn how to change parts myself over time.
Thanks!

Solution
Thank you for your reply.
I'm curious to know if a GTX 1660 Super will fit with my current MOBO though?
Your saying I can just upgrade my GPU and that's it? (PSU also if needed).
Yes, any new GPU will fit your Z77 motherboard. Your Meshify S2 case supports 440mm length GPU, which is huge, so that should be no problem. You will eventually need a new build but your current build should be good enough that a new GPU should be able to get you a few more years out of it. At the very least it will give you a great performance boost while you save for a new build, that in AUD is going to be somewhat pricey.

Edit: Be sure your monitor supports whatever connections a new GPU will use. Most new GPU's support HDMI and Display Port.
Apr 3, 2020
Your current PC should not struggle to run those games at 1080p. Something is likely wrong.
Struggle maybe was the wrong wording.
It doesn't struggle to run them, if I have them at low settings. (Besides Destiny 2 in certain areas or a lot of enemies it does). But I would like a more powerful pc.

Struggle maybe was the wrong wording.
It doesn't struggle to run them, if I have them at low settings. (Besides Destiny 2 in certain areas or a lot of enemies it does). But I would like a more powerful pc.
Your core system, while starting to age, looks very capable for 1080p. I'd upgrade to a new, more powerfull GPU. If it proves to be insufficient you can make plans for a new build and the new GPU can be moved into a new system at that point. If you intend to stay at 1080p, a GTX 1660 Super would do fine.

If your power supply is also an old model you'll want to replace it for sure. This can also be moved to a new build when the time comes. If your current PSU is a top tier model and is still under warranty there's no need to replace it now.

If you have not done maintenance on your CPU cooler for several years it may be a good idea to remove it, clean it and apply new thermal paste and reinstall it. Since you have an unlocked 'K' processor and a 'Z' class motherboard you could also try some overclocking to increase performance there. A stock intel cooler won't do the job for that.
Pcpartpicker list AU

Apr 3, 2020
Your core system, while starting to age, looks very capable for 1080p. I'd upgrade to a new, more powerfull GPU. If it proves to be insufficient you can make plans for a new build and the new GPU can be moved into a new system at that point. If you intend to stay at 1080p, a GTX 1660 Super would do fine.

If your power supply is also an old model you'll want to replace it for sure. This can also be moved to a new build when the time comes. If your current PSU is a top tier model and is still under warranty there's no need to replace it now.

If you have not done maintenance on your CPU cooler for several years it may be a good idea to remove it, clean it and apply new thermal paste and reinstall it. Since you have an unlocked 'K' processor and a 'Z' class motherboard you could also try some overclocking to increase performance there. A stock intel cooler won't do the job for that.
Pcpartpicker list AU

Yes, any new GPU will fit your Z77 motherboard. Your Meshify S2 case supports 440mm length GPU, which is huge, so that should be no problem. You will eventually need a new build but your current build should be good enough that a new GPU should be able to get you a few more years out of it. At the very least it will give you a great performance boost while you save for a new build, that in AUD is going to be somewhat pricey.

Edit: Be sure your monitor supports whatever connections a new GPU will use. Most new GPU's support HDMI and Display Port.

Last edited:
Solution