[SOLVED] What components should I upgrade?

May 10, 2022
I currently have an Acer laptop with the following configuration. The machine has been slow on startup and while opening new applications. What component should I upgrade (such as RAM or Processor) to keep it going for a few more years. I use this laptop mostly for browsing and learning programming languages like python (no heavy-duty stuff). Also, please send any references to where I can buy those components online/offline (I live in Vancouver, Canada).

Current configuration:
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4210U CPU @ 1.70GHz 2.40 GHz
Installed RAM 4.00 GB
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
Pen and touch Touch support with 10 touchpoints

Edition Windows 10 Home
Version 21H2
Installed on ‎9/‎10/‎2020
OS build 19044.1645

Solution
Switching a mechanical drive with an SSD would be the upgrade with the best compatibility. And you should be able to keep it even if you decide to get a new laptop later on.
A stronger CPU could overpower the cooling system of the laptop, if it is even replaceable in the first place. In fact, this one is soldered in.
And laptops can be picky with RAM. Check what it supports (should be in the manual or on the manufacturers page)

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Hard to say without an exact model. 4 GB of ram is on the low side today. If the model has removeable memory, you can probably bump that up to 8GB for not a lot.

Beyond that, it is a fairly outdated system and extremely inexpensive offerings would more than replace it. Depends on what you have to spend, but I am seeing whole brand new 11th generation laptops for as low as 500 CAD.

Quite sprightly 11th gen ultrabooks are going for as low as $400 US down here.

jacob249358

Commendable
Sep 8, 2021
Literally waiting for windows 11 to update on my new lenovo ideapad as Im typing this with an i3 11th gen 8gb of ram, 256gb SSD for only $350. Laptops have come a long way since yours came out I would suggest getting a new system.

Switching a mechanical drive with an SSD would be the upgrade with the best compatibility. And you should be able to keep it even if you decide to get a new laptop later on.
A stronger CPU could overpower the cooling system of the laptop, if it is even replaceable in the first place. In fact, this one is soldered in.
And laptops can be picky with RAM. Check what it supports (should be in the manual or on the manufacturers page)

Solution