Question What computer?

Jul 16, 2020
Okay so i got this deal with my dad to buy his Macbook pro 2018 16 inches for 500$ which im thinking of gaming and doing a little video editing. My question is if i should buy parts for a pc for around 500 - 600$ or go with the offer.
i alredy got a monitor and plan to use the computer statonary.
Thanks!

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
What spec' Macbook? Best available for Mid-2018 was a 6core i7 and a Radeon Pro 555X.
$500 for something of that spec is a great deal...... Whether it's a good fit for your use-case is debateable, but even used resale value, you could turn a decent profit @ $500.

You could put together a tower for ~$600 that would outperform it, no doubt..... but in the current market, PSU prices are up substantially, that'll eat into the pricepoint. I'd still expect a R5 3600 / 1650Super / 16GB system to be doable at the pricepoint.

If it were me though, I'd buy/use the Macbook for a few months, let prices on components level out. Then sell the Macbook and build later in the year. Just my $.02

Jul 16, 2020
Thank you for the advise but i should have mentiond that i wont be able to sell it and turn a profit so don't belive thats a option. Tho i i would mostly want to know what would be the better computer. I don't know the exact model but i think it was the one you sayd.