What connection is this?

ellard8323

Honorable
Dec 9, 2013
What type of connection is this?

This is for a CPU fan i can't find any slots that it'll fit in, so i need to find some sort of adapter, but first i need to know what the connection is called

That's a 3 pin fan header. It'll plug into your motherboard. Consult the manual to find the locations. It'll be labeled something along the lines of CPU_FAN1. Case fans may have the same connections and will plug into CHASSIS_FAN ports. The only difference between those ports is that you most likely won't post if you don't have a fan plugged into one of the CPU_FAN ports.

ellard8323

Honorable
Dec 9, 2013

Hi, thanks for you answer! Does the connection have an actual name or is it just referred to as '3 pin' as i think i can find adapters, but i don't think my motherboard as a plug-in for that type of connection?

ftp://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_desktop/esuprt_dell_precision_workstation/precision-490-dt_user%27s%20guide_en-us.pdf

Scroll down to about page 7, u don't think there is a connection for it, it may be because it is a workstation? But the fan is for the LGA771 socket, and most LGA771 sockets that i can find are DELL?

Thanks in advance :)