Question what connects to what in a communications closet?

Nov 30, 2022
I have a patch panel. There was no switch, so I ordered one. I have a router and a modem, which are connected to each other and to my coax.

The patch panel has all these cables going into the back of it from the desks of our employees, and displays ports on the front that have nothing in them at the moment. Do those ports need to connect to my switch?

I don't see a separate port on the switch to connect it to my router, so am I supposed to sacrifice one of my switch ports to make that connection?

Thanks.

I have a patch panel. There was no switch, so I ordered one. I have a router and a modem, which are connected to each other and to my coax.

The patch panel has all these cables going into the back of it from the desks of our employees, and displays ports on the front that have nothing in them at the moment. Do those ports need to connect to my switch?

I don't see a separate port on the switch to connect it to my router, so am I supposed to sacrifice one of my switch ports to make that connection?

Thanks.
The front ports on a patch panel go into your switch. You also connect your router into the switch. If you have say a 24 port switch and a 16 port patch panel I would match the number on the patch panel with the same number on the switch. Then use like port 24 for you connection to the router.

Reactions: Ralston18

Ralston18

Titan
As above:

Google "how to connect switch to patch panel" and filter to images. Lots of examples.

You can always revise the search criteria if there is some particular concern or issue.

Also: plan out the connections beforehand and sketch out your own diagram. Does not need to be fancy or some work of art.

Label everything and number the wires and ports. Note wall jack locations (office, cubicle, etc.). Include connected devices allow with basic network information for each device: IP address (DHPC or Static), MAC, Device name, and so forth.

Keep the sketch handy along with the documentation for all network devices.

There are free tools that can discover and diagram out network topology.

Once everything is up and running then you may wish to tidy up the diagram.

Being able to literally see the "big picture" can prove very useful.

Reactions: jeremyj_83

TRENDING THREADS