Question What cooler do i need to buy and what do i need to more about upgrading a cpu?

Harbintatamata

Prominent
Jun 20, 2020
So recently, ive been wanting to change something with my pc because it has been quietly a long time of me creating a bond with my cpu bottleneck. It has been such a frustrating time. Now to keep this short and ongoing im planning on buying a new cpu, ive made the calculations and ive seen what do i need to be aware off. Since i dont wanna spend a lot of moneys on changing the whole motherboard, cuz that will mean changing it will require to change the ram as well and some other parts too, i might as well just buy a new pc at that case. Thats why i searched the compatibility of my motherboard, it showed that it just accepts intel 4thgens processors and the best cpu that i could bring on the table for the least decreasment of the bottleneck percentage was the i7-4790k 4.00ghz. <This whole thing started when i bought a gtx 1660, knowing that all the pc parts work individually, a reckless kid who didnt know much>... What im asking now is that what do i need to be more sure off, because im gonna purchase the cpu this week, i found a relatable price from a seller in a website, great reviews, price around 120$. Afterwards i need to buy a cooler, as ive been told or as far as i want to be safe. The cooler i have right now is just a piece of heatsink from the day i bought my pc, its an intel classic heatsink fan which i havent even touched it +the cpu, from the day ive bought them. The name of it was i think intel e97378-001 for lga-1155 socket (im gonna put a picture down below as well as some other things, links of coolers and specifications of my pc). I want you guys to tell me more about this cooler part, do i need to change it or just keep the one that i have. And do i need to put thermal paste on it when i will change the cpu and the cooler that i will be buying...

PC SPECS:

CPU: i5-4440 3.10GHz --> Change it to i7-4790k 4.00GHz

GPU: GTX 1660 6gb

RAM: 16gb ddr3

Motherboard: Gigabyte h81m-s

PSU: Corsair CX550

Cooler: The current one is Intel e98378-001 for lga-1155 socket ( theres a link down below, a picture of my cooler)--> Looking to buy a new one if thats necessary

https://ibb.co/y81RrWM

The cooler that im trying to buy: [https://setec.mk/index.php?route=pr...oduct/product&product_id=23668&search=cooler)

Since it had the same dimensions as this one, i think it would just work fine. 1.80x3.60x3.60 or in centimetirs, 46mm height and i think 92mm length

quietly a long time of me creating a bond with my cpu bottleneck
this doesn't make any sense.
quietly vs loudly?
and what do you mean by "bond" with a CPU bottleneck; like you are close with it, as in you are dating or friends?
these aren't super hot using default clocks.
if you can find an old Cooler Master Hyper 212 it will be perfect.
~6 years ago when i was running one of those, had it overclocked quite a bit and my Hyper 212 kept it under 65°C with relatively quiet fans.

also check out the be quiet! Pure Rock and the Noctua NH-U9 series.

Harbintatamata

Prominent
Jun 20, 2020
And what, pray tell, is telling you this "percentage"?
(pretty sure i know, but just four our edification out here)
Websites and experience. About the website part you can search it up and you'll find that the worst pair of gpu and cpu that you can combine its a i5-4440 and a gtx 1660, it has a +30% of bottleneck on 1080p, its a disaster, but the i7-4790k have a drastic change on that part. Now this was just hypothetically speaking, you cant really tell the difference between them just by searching them up on the internet, but im more than sure that the i7 will do a hundred percent better job than the i5. The frustration of it will bring your anger to the moon, its absurd in a kind of way, because if you really think about it the bottleneck its quietly the opposite of what gamers want while theyre playing a game, which is high fps, and how do you reach that? By lowering your videosettings, now thats the thing, with a cpu bottleneck you would want to increase those video settings in regard of reaching a little extra fps. Its funny to think that lowering your videosettings while having a bottleneck literally means crashing the whole game, because what youre doing is increasing the cpu intensity which results in more usage and the gpu will be sleeping the whole time. Now the experience part that i mentioned in the begininng is that ive tested every and single game that i play. I can say that im a competetive player, im not that guy who wants their graphics maxed out, im a guy who wants to play on a stretched resolution with the lowest videosettings ever, just to reach that peak performance, but the bottleneck is the obstacle of me doing what i wanna do. Im forced to play on ultra settings just to increase the gpu usage, because it literally stays on 5-15% everytime, while my cpu is sacrificing his life on 100%. Its the factor, its the limit, it just doesnt let the gpu do the work, its not a great cooperation between the gpu and the cpu that i currently have, and thats a mistake that i am responsible for, as a reckless guy who didnt know a lot of things about pc parts, i only thought about buying a gpu will increase my fps, thats all. We've all made this mistakes at some point in our life, but yeah, people do learn from mistakes, so theres nthg to do about that.

Harbintatamata

Prominent
Jun 20, 2020
this doesn't make any sense.
quietly vs loudly?
and what do you mean by "bond" with a CPU bottleneck; like you are close with it, as in you are dating or friends?

these aren't super hot using default clocks.
if you can find an old Cooler Master Hyper 212 it will be perfect.
~6 years ago when i was running one of those, had it overclocked quite a bit and my Hyper 212 kept it under 65°C with relatively quiet fans.

also check out the be quiet! Pure Rock and the Noctua NH-U9 series.
Im pretty sure youve heard of metaphors. By bond, i meant that ive dealt with the bottleneck such a long time now and wanted to make a change about it. The frustration is absurd. Cant even play a game on low settings, im forced to play on ultra settings just because the gpu is sleeping the whole time and the intensity on cpu is pretty high. The opposite of what gamers want. People decrease their video settings for highfps, i increase them, its not the same lol. But yeah thank you for the recommendation, i might get a cooler masterh hyper 212 too. The thing that i wanted to know, is that if i should be worried about something, because as far as ive seen everything is normally compatible and it goes well with all my pc parts. Ill just order the cpu this week and the coolermaster, i believe the cooler comes with a thermal paste. Ill have it build in 2 weeks. But if theres something that i should be aware of, feel free to reply to this message. Im more than happy to learn. Thank you again for your effort.

Harbintatamata

Prominent
Jun 20, 2020
"websites and experience"

Might this be a "bottleneck calculator"?
(I'll not link it here, because I do not want to give them the clicks)
As far as ive done my researches every "bottleneck calculator" or "website" tells me that its the worst thing to combine a gpu like that with an i5-4440. Heres a link that i found on my search history, https://pc-builds.com/calculator/Core_i5-4440/GeForce_GTX_1660/0wx13w/ ;
-The cpu is to weak to handle the gtx 1660. Thats why im looking forward on purchasing the i7-4790k.

USAFRet

Titan
As far as ive done my researches every "bottleneck calculator" or "website" tells me that its the worst thing to combine a gpu like that with an i5-4440. Heres a link that i found on my search history, https://pc-builds.com/calculator/Core_i5-4440/GeForce_GTX_1660/0wx13w/ ;
-The cpu is to weak to handle the gtx 1660. Thats why im looking forward on purchasing the i7-4790k.
sigh.....
That is the specific snake oil thing I was referring to.

There is no such thing as a "bottleneck"

The CPU (mostly) produces the framerate.
The GPU provides the eyecandy.

The CPU, whatever it is you have, will produce whatever framerate it can, for a specific game or application.
The GPU will then provide whatever graphics it can, at whatever setting you choose.

If you put in a better CPU, you can/will see better framerate. And the GPU will, if it can, provide you with whatever graphics you set.
If better FPS is what you are after, then change the CPU.

The combination of the i5-4440 and GTX 1660 is obviously NOT "the worst thing".
There are many worse combinations.

Bottom line - Reduction of "bottleneck percentage" is not something to chase.
Better performance is what you should be chasing. Either more FPS (better CPU) or better graphics (better GPU)
Or both.

I'm out.

TRENDING THREADS