[SOLVED] What cooler do I use for Intel Core i9-12900K?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Solution
For a 12900k? Argb aircooler that is small enough to fit most cases, does not impede ram slots.

Doesn't exist. There's only 4 aircoolers I'd slap on a 12900k. Noctua NH-D15, Deepcool Assassin III, BeQuiet DarkRock Pro4 or Cryorig R1. None of which fit many mid cases, even the 163mm NH-D15 is too tall for such, and the shortest of the 4. None have any sort of led, rgb or ARGB lighting. All impede over ram slots, at least slot 1, sometimes slot 2.

You simply aren't going to cool that cpu with a tiny 120mm argb fan aircooler that doesn't cover up ram slots.
What Air cooler do I use for Intel Core i9-12900K? And is Arctic Silver paste good for it? (already ordered the paste). Thank you.

Sadly there isn't an easy answer because there are way too many factors involved on air cooling a CPU, specially one of which we have no access yet.

Besides what everyone else said, for the top performer of the new intel Alder Lake line up I would:

1. Think if I have a good air-flow case or a restrictive one.
If I have a decent air-flow case then I would:

1. Choose a motherboard.
  2. Choose a RAM kit.
  3. Go to the air cooler maker website and see if they have a compatibility list of motherboard and also of memory height.
  4. Pick the biggest air cooler you can get since the 12900K will most likely be the hottest of the new chips.

Last edited:
Reactions: Why_Me

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Not so sure that's going to work out in Asus favor. Physically, the socketed cpu 'Z' height of the 12thgen cpus is shorter than that of prior gens. So even using an existing cooler mount, you'll not get the same pressure on the cpu. For cooler types that use standoffs to hold the mounting brackets, like what Noctua uses, the simple fix is supply shorter standoffs. Just using an old cooler, you'll not get enough pressure to mount the cooler firmly and spread the paste right, it'll be a sloppy fit and have terrible thermal performance.
The Z-height has also changed to 6.529mm compared to 7.31mm on the previous LGA 12*/115 sockets.
That @ 1mm makes a massive difference. Most standoffs are plastic barrels, obvious solution should you use an old cooler, break out the sandpaper and shave off that 1mm.

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
For a 12900k? Argb aircooler that is small enough to fit most cases, does not impede ram slots.

Doesn't exist. There's only 4 aircoolers I'd slap on a 12900k. Noctua NH-D15, Deepcool Assassin III, BeQuiet DarkRock Pro4 or Cryorig R1. None of which fit many mid cases, even the 163mm NH-D15 is too tall for such, and the shortest of the 4. None have any sort of led, rgb or ARGB lighting. All impede over ram slots, at least slot 1, sometimes slot 2.

You simply aren't going to cool that cpu with a tiny 120mm argb fan aircooler that doesn't cover up ram slots.

Solution

Astralv

Distinguished
Last edited:

Astralv

Distinguished
Karadjgne
Ok, never mind the LED RGB lights. But it has to fit over the memory. I want to get Corsair Dominator DDR5 when it becomes available. That memory looks tall. But it does not list height.

CORSAIR Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR5 SDRAM DDR5 5200 (PC5 41600) Intel XMP 3.0 Desktop Memory Model CMT32GX5M2B5200C38 - Newegg.com

Looks like right now Corsair is the only DDR5 option which is not available.

Now this Noctua S version supposedly provides good clearance for memory. But this thing is HUGE!

NH-D15S chromax.black (noctua.at)

Assassian III- I dont see anything about memory and GPU slot clearance. Isn't they going to put PCIE 5 slot at the top? So we can't have it covered by cooler, I want to experience PCIe 5!

DeepCool-ASSASSIN III

This model looks smaller and has clearance at least for memory. You dont think it would cool I9? Honestly. I have builds with IvyBridge and Hasswel I7 and I used stock air coolers that came with them. Everybody said- dont use them, I did, and those computers alive and well 8 years later. I am not a gamer, I do audio production and learning video production.

DeepCool-AS500 PLUS

I will look in to your other ideas tomorrow, thank you.

Astralv

Distinguished
Looked at BeQuiet. I like Dark Rock 4 Pro, but it does not say anywhere about memory clearance.

DARK ROCK silent Air coolers for your PC from be quiet!

I would be nice to also get their case, but I already have BeQuiet DARK BASE PRO 900 | Orange rev. 2 silent high-end PC cases from be quiet! and this thing torns itself with any touch to the panel. My computer always gets on and I dont know when I turned it on. It has some kind of shortage and it touch sensitive. And BeQuiet told me they never heard of it and did nothing to solve the issue. Also it does not say anything about 1700 compatability, it has Motherboard check but Asus Hero or Proart I am looking at are not listed. If I need to order brackets kit from Germany, it would be pain.

And CRYORIG R1 Ultimate | Research Idea Gear It looks nice, but I dont see anything about memory clearance or brackets either.

Help!

Thank you.