[SOLVED] What cooler for Ryzen 7 5800x?

matacar

Reputable
May 4, 2018
I am upgrading my pc, changing almost all components except the SSD and PSU.
I am looking for what cooler to buy for Ryzen 7 5800x.
My goal is gaming and streaming, I don't plan on overclocking anything.
Do you have any suggestions? Nothing crazy expensive, an air cooler if possible.

I have seen a lot of Noctua suggestions like the noctua nh-d15.
What is your opinion on Fuma 2? It is similar to Noctua and I can save like 40 dollars.
I'd say it's worth a shot can't go wrong giving new things a go seems like it should be decent and from things I have heard from people and read it's just under the equivalence of a noctua. Just as good using liquid medal thermal compound

D

Deleted member 2720853

The fans of the Fuma 2 aren't great once you put it on hotter CPUs, which would be the 5800X, hottest running CPU in the Zen 3 lineup.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: white.a.drew

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
@matacar
I'm not sure you'll even notice a large difference between any of these dual tower air coolers.
It looks like, at the worst of times, this cpu doesn't pull more than ~140w:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-7-5800x-zen-3-review/2
o https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-7-5800x-zen-3-review/3
In that regard, something like a NH-U14S, U12A, or Mugen 5 Rev B. should be enough, and more efficient than a big dual tower, because the big dual tower's capacity isn't being reached by any means.

The reason the 5800X is so 'hot' is before you even put any kind of cooler on it to begin with:
-the IHS isn't efficient at transferring the heat of the Multi Chip Module design, so some of the heat is 'lost' in the socket, before it can be transferred up through the heatspreader/paste/cpu cooler.
-the higher thermal density of TSMC's 7nm process.
-Ryzen 5000 has an even more aggressive turbo boost algorithm than previous Ryzen 3000 line. The latter would stop trying to push higher clocks around 80C. 5000 doesn't stop until 90-95C... if it hasn't run into the PPT limit first.
-The 5800X is clock binned, but not voltage binned. Crazy how the 5900X and 5950X can run cooler than it...

Undervolting, or a negative voltage offset would likely help this cpu more than just getting a dual tower. Well, nothing's stopping you from doing both...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 2720853

Thats why your paying more for the notua they have needs for everything
I keep my NH-D15S single fan at 1100 RPM max. Keeps my 12 core 3900X at 65C under most loads, except for Cinebench which brings it to ~75C.

As for the Dark Rock Pro 4, the installation system on that thing is god awful. Noctua's SecuFirm is still the best.

Reactions: white.a.drew

tkp

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2013
I have the 5800x and Dark Rock Pro 4. I picked it for its looks, I was going for a black theme. I was pleasantly surprised with how good it really was. When testing it with prime95 I topped at around 65. The fans never kicked up enough to be very noticable either. First time I ever had a dual tower cooler.

matacar

Reputable
May 4, 2018
@matacar
I'm not sure you'll even notice a large difference between any of these dual tower air coolers.
It looks like, at the worst of times, this cpu doesn't pull more than ~140w:
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-7-5800x-zen-3-review/2
o https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-ryzen-7-5800x-zen-3-review/3
In that regard, something like a NH-U14S, U12A, or Mugen 5 Rev B. should be enough, and more efficient than a big dual tower, because the big dual tower's capacity isn't being reached by any means.

The reason the 5800X is so 'hot' is before you even put any kind of cooler on it to begin with:
-the IHS isn't efficient at transferring the heat of the Multi Chip Module design, so some of the heat is 'lost' in the socket, before it can be transferred up through the heatspreader/paste/cpu cooler.
-the higher thermal density of TSMC's 7nm process.
-Ryzen 5000 has an even more aggressive turbo boost algorithm than previous Ryzen 3000 line. The latter would stop trying to push higher clocks around 80C. 5000 doesn't stop until 90-95C... if it hasn't run into the PPT limit first.
-The 5800X is clock binned, but not voltage binned. Crazy how the 5900X and 5950X can run cooler than it...

Undervolting, or a negative voltage offset would likely help this cpu more than just getting a dual tower. Well, nothing's stopping you from doing both...
This is some very good information. Thank you so very much. However, I don't want to risk anything or pull any punches. I also don't want to buy the most premium stuff like crazy liquid cooling. I still have a limited budget.

If you don't mind, I was planning on going with Cooler Master Masterbox K501L PC case. I am not sure if everything will fit or will it have good airflow. Do you have any case recommendations for 50-60 dollars if possible?

matacar

Reputable
May 4, 2018
I have the 5800x and Dark Rock Pro 4. I picked it for its looks, I was going for a black theme. I was pleasantly surprised with how good it really was. When testing it with prime95 I topped at around 65. The fans never kicked up enough to be very noticable either. First time I ever had a dual tower cooler.
What kind of case do you have? Do you have any case recommendations for 50-60 dollars if possible?

matacar

Reputable
May 4, 2018
I keep my NH-D15S single fan at 1100 RPM max. Keeps my 12 core 3900X at 65C under most loads, except for Cinebench which brings it to ~75C.

As for the Dark Rock Pro 4, the installation system on that thing is god awful. Noctua's SecuFirm is still the best.
Interesting. Do you have any case recommendations for 50-60 dollars if possible?

tkp

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2013
What kind of case do you have? Do you have any case recommendations for 50-60 dollars if possible?
I went with the Meshify C, but I added 2 140mm be quiet fans in the front.

It is a bit more than the $60. I am sure others will have better recommendations than me. Still learning here.

D

Deleted member 2720853

I went with the shadow wings. It was all I could find in stock at the time. With the fan curve, they are pretty quiet. Runs nice and slow.
Interesting. My Silent Wings 3 140mm at 800-900 RPM are inaudible and push a lot of air.

Oct 30, 2021

Im running the D15 noctua and its a champ as long as the fans are ramped up a bit it runs at 45 /48c idle and gaming at 1920 1080 it hits 72 74c. Ryzen 9 5950x