[SOLVED] What cooler will fit this?

Jul 28, 2021
This is the board. I was wondering what cooler I could use to cool this. Preferably the cheapest option out there. It looks like an intel style cooler will cool it but I am wondering about clearance being that it holds a Ryzen 1600. Please help! Story below.
https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05634309
c05636001.jpg

So here is the story. I found this in an old box at a friends house. It doesn't look damaged or in any rough shape and still has the stock cpu in it so pins should be perfect. I want to get this running as a Linux machine so I can mess around with it. I don't want to have this thing just go to waste and (I know dumb idea) but I want to start messing around with getting it running as a 24/7 home server and experiment with that. I'm currently studying network engineering and I am having fun building servers and playing around with kali and redhat on vmware but I want to dive deeper into the server side of things and see what I can learn from it. I personally think having something cheap like this that can be a throwaway or an upgrade path to something later can help me out and not run my main pc 24/7. So far we have played with windows server 2016 but I want to try learning how to build a server on linux. I was going to get a raspberry pi 4 to play on linux with but then I found this and well its x86 and virtual box will run on it and other programs I might need in the future compared to the arm architecture right now. Plus it comes with 8gbs of ram so all I can think that it would need is a hard drive and a power supply. Feel free to comment on the story or my plans! Maybe you have a better idea or something that I haven't thought of yet. Just keep in mind that I am trying to stay under $150 in spending on this or a "new server toy"

Thank you for your help!!

Solution
This is the board. I was wondering what cooler I could use to cool this. Preferably the cheapest option out there. It looks like an intel style cooler will cool it but I am wondering about clearance being that it holds a Ryzen 1600. Please help! Story below.
c05636001.jpg

So here is the story. I found this in an old box at a friends house. It doesn't look damaged or in any rough shape and still has the stock cpu in it so pins should be perfect. I want to get this running as a Linux machine so I can mess around with it. I don't want to have this thing just go to waste and (I know dumb idea) but I want to start messing around with getting...

PCMDDOCTORS

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2015
c05636001.jpg

So here is the story. I found this in an old box at a friends house. It doesn't look damaged or in any rough shape and still has the stock cpu in it so pins should be perfect. I want to get this running as a Linux machine so I can mess around with it. I don't want to have this thing just go to waste and (I know dumb idea) but I want to start messing around with getting it running as a 24/7 home server and experiment with that. I'm currently studying network engineering and I am having fun building servers and playing around with kali and redhat on vmware but I want to dive deeper into the server side of things and see what I can learn from it. I personally think having something cheap like this that can be a throwaway or an upgrade path to something later can help me out and not run my main pc 24/7. So far we have played with windows server 2016 but I want to try learning how to build a server on linux. I was going to get a raspberry pi 4 to play on linux with but then I found this and well its x86 and virtual box will run on it and other programs I might need in the future compared to the arm architecture right now. Plus it comes with 8gbs of ram so all I can think that it would need is a hard drive and a power supply. Feel free to comment on the story or my plans! Maybe you have a better idea or something that I haven't thought of yet. Just keep in mind that I am trying to stay under $150 in spending on this or a "new server toy"

Thank you for your help!!

That is the new AMD AM4 Socket, It does look similar to Intel. I will list a few links for Coolers for you but my #1 option for performance and low cost is the stock AMD AM4 Wraith cooler, it's extremely efficient and miles ahead of the Intel stock coolers. Also check the back of the board to see if the back plate is there, if not you will need a new one, but not to worry, they are really cheap. I will list one as well if needed. I hope this info helps.

1. AM4 Mounting Bracket $5.99

2. AMD Ryzen Wraith Stealth Cooler (#1 Recomondation Smaller but effective) $18.00

3. AMD Ryzen Wraith Spire Cooler (Larger Cooler for Ryzen) $29.89

4. RGB Cheap Cooler (Has Rainbow Color Lighting effect if you like RGB) $12.99

5. DEEPCOOL CPU Air Cooler (Name Brand Basic Cooler) $9.99

6. Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Paste (Needed for all CPU & Cooler Install) $6.90

Reactions: Smiley1m
Solution