Reputable
Feb 25, 2014
New system being built:
AMD FX 8320 Black Edition 3.5GHz AM3+
XFX Double D R7 260X 2GB DDR5
ASRock 970 Extreme4 Socket AM3+ 970
8 GB DDR3 1600
Diablotek EVO Mid Tower ATX

I will be overclocking the 8320 to the 4.2 or 4.3 that it looks like it can be taken to. The case is smaller but has 4 120 mm fans already in the case. Of course the card has 2 fans and the processor stock fan.

I have had this card overheat a box already. Do I need more cooling? If so, what? Maybe a larger case would be a better idea?

Solution
Looks like your case has 1 fan in the front,back and 2 on the top. I would suggest to have the front fan pulling air into the case, air cooling solution exhaust upward, back fan being taken off, 2 top fans as exhaust. or top being taken off and back being exhaust. Either option will give you an opportunity to use all-in-one water cooling.

Are you asking for an upgrade to the CPU? or the mobo? I'm a little confused with your last sentence.
Yea, don't overclock CPU with stock fan, especially when 8320 creates a lot of heat. Sounds like you would want to have an air cooler since you are maxed out on your fan mount, something like CM 212 Evo or anything from Noctua will do the job. As for the case cooling, it should be fine as long as you put them in the right directions. (We can get into details if you want)

Dxburdi

Reputable
Feb 25, 2014

Thanks for the CPU fan recommendation. Not sure about the fans, they come with the case. I am assuming you are referring to pushing and pulling air. I have seen them where the fans basically pull all the air in and then create a nice furnace in the case. If you have a recommendation to look at airflow I would love to hear it.

I am still pricing this unit out. I am struggling with a mobo now. Got any recommends for this CPU? I want to leave expansion possibility for the future.

Looks like your case has 1 fan in the front,back and 2 on the top. I would suggest to have the front fan pulling air into the case, air cooling solution exhaust upward, back fan being taken off, 2 top fans as exhaust. or top being taken off and back being exhaust. Either option will give you an opportunity to use all-in-one water cooling.

Are you asking for an upgrade to the CPU? or the mobo? I'm a little confused with your last sentence.

Solution

Dxburdi

Reputable
Feb 25, 2014

Let me clarify. I have a new GPU and PS. I purchsed these for an older system as an upgrade. They wok great but now we want to do more. This is for a 17 year old that is just starting his computer hobby, I have not built on in 5 years, might as well have been 50 years for what I am seeing out there now!

I am building this new system based on those two parts. I have gotten myself down to the FX 8320 with a good price point. I took a recommendation on a mobo but now can't find it anywhere. I am not really even sure about the brand anymore. Most of the recommendations come with a GPU, rather not have that added to the board if I can help it.

I would be glad to help with this if there's a budget for both the CPU and motherboard. As for the FX8320, I think you can stick with FX 6300 to match the performance of a R7 260X, unless the PC is meant for more than gaming.

Dxburdi

Reputable
Feb 25, 2014

Price said go ahead and get the 8320 same as the 6300, actually, $4 less. While we were waiting I found a Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 Socket AM3+ 990FX ATX AMD M for Just over $100. Should do the trick. and yeah, it will be more than gaming. This is going to be the computer of a Physics and Engineering student for the next 5 years. It could take a bit of a beating.

I appreciate all your help today.

TRENDING THREADS