What cord do I need to use for a Gigabyte GTX 770?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgx42

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2012
My new Gigabyte GTX 770 requires two 8-pin power connectors. I saw somewhere that it is recommended to use two separate cables opposed to using one cable that splits into two 6+2 connectors. Someone said it is better to NOT use one cable that splits into two 6+2 connectors and to use two completely separate cables drawn from the power supply instead. What is the reasoning for this? Is this true? Am I really hurting anything if I use one cable that splits into two 8-pin connectors?

Solution
I run my 770 off 1 6+2 Pin that comes off my PSU. The two connectors are on one string for a reason neither is limited or it wouldn't make sense to have both these connectors on one string.
depends on the wattage of the power supply and how it set up inside. most of the higher end power supply put the video card power on two cables and a rail by itself so it wont pull to much power and melt the wires from heat or short out a power supply. with modular units there be two 6 plus two cables on two ports. if the unit was bad for sli or crossfire. some of the 650-750w units may have one six pin and one 8 pin cable. if the power supply has the cables fixes and you have a known good brand there should if it a unit made for two or more video cards and at right wattage for two cards there should be two six plus 2 cable or more.

Avocade

Honorable
Apr 12, 2013
I run my 770 off 1 6+2 Pin that comes off my PSU. The two connectors are on one string for a reason neither is limited or it wouldn't make sense to have both these connectors on one string.

Solution
Jul 30, 2021
I am sorry to reopen this old thread. I am using a gtx 770 wfoc 450w with a 850w thermaltake gold psu. I have 3 free pcie with a dual Male to male 8 pin, should I be using 2 separate 8pins?

Status
Not open for further replies.