[SOLVED] SSD failing?

Jul 14, 2020
Exising specs:

MB: ASUS IX CODE
CPU: i7 6700 (non-k)
RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum (4 x 4GB @ 2133Mhz)
COOLER: Corsair H100i V2
GPU: PNY RTX 2070Super XLR8 8GB
STORAGE: 2 x 500GB SanDisk 3D SSD Ultra
PSU: EVGA P2 650W

Long story short, about 12 months ago, I built a PC with the sane specs as above except that I had an EVGA GTX 1060 SSC 6GB and an EVGA G2 650W. The PSU was dead (PC would reset under load). I received the 750W model under warranty and the PC was stable until 2 months later when Windows refused to update to 1803 for reasons I could not find an answer to. I checked the BIOS to see if that was a possible issue, only to find there was an update (1301). I updated the BIOS, which seemed to go okay (no issues with stability, etc.) I reinstalled Windows to 1803 using a USB. The GTX drivers were installed by Windows (which was the case prior) with some artifacting. After Windows restarted following the driver install, the system would freeze at the boot logo (with white spinning circle thing). No matter how much I restarted, it would get stuck. Thinking it was the card, I send it back and received an exact replacement. Same problem. I had a HD6850 lying around, so plugged that in and absolutely no issues whatsoever.

Recently, I decided to swap both the GPU and PSU with my current one (as listed above). Plugged both in today. Windows kepted freezing at the desktop before and after the drivers were installed until the monitor lost signal. Event Viewer showed corruptions in File System, so ran SFC, which repaired some files, but not all. Reinstalled Windows to see if that would resolve the issues, but enountered the very same problem I first started with: the PC would reset under load. Stuck my GTX back in, same thing. Stuck the HD6850 back in, no problems.

I turned towards the RAM and ran MemTest64 for about an hour as I read that this would be long enough. No errors. Ran SanDisks' utility to check the health of the SSDs. No faults. Also ran Prime95 to test the CPU. No stability issues. I guess that leaves the board unless there are other tests. I don't have access to another PC.

Any suggestions that I could try? Apologies if this is in the wrong section and for the long post. Could it be that I've had three bad PSUs and three bad GPUs? Or is there a common denominator which I suspect may be the case?

Last edited:
Solution
SOLVED: Returned the GPU and PSU back to the store, where the PSU was found to be OK, unlike the GPU. Received a replacement, like for like, GPU, only to have the same problem.
Jul 14, 2020
SOLVED: Returned the GPU and PSU back to the store, where the PSU was found to be OK, unlike the GPU. Received a replacement, like for like, GPU, only to have the same problem.

Solution