Question what could be broken?

Jul 18, 2022
my computer has been freezing on the windows logo screen, even after I trigger the automatic repair, it either has the circle kept rolling forever or also freezes as well.
I have used my setup for more than a year, so I don't think it will be a Compatability issue.
this issue has been with my computer for about a month, but it all did end well with a few reboots, it might be worth mentioning that the automatic repair freeze every time, never works. so I will have to restart my computer again to let it try the normal process and take my chance. After it did pass the logo screen, I can use it without any issues, and during the time since the problem started appearing, only one or two times did the blue screen happen, while other times I restart the computer myself that caused me to face the freeze issues.
But not this time.
I have tried to use a windows installation media with both DVD and USB, but both will freeze on the loading screen. while doing this, I have also tried to start the installation media with or without every hard drive and memory stick I have on my comupter, but those tries also end up frozen on the windows logo.
Also, for a freeze that happens on a normal start-up that uses my system on my m2 drive, I can tell it is a freeze due to my usual start time will be shorter than 10 seconds, but a freeze will end up with an obvious longer loading or the unusual behavior that the circle didn't move. at all. For installation media that use DVD and USB, I give it 10 minutes before determining it is a freeze since I'm not sure how it usually takes, but It does feel way longer than it is supposed to be even with my older computer, and I tried both methods on my old computer first before using this on the new one, and the old one works fine with those methods but the new one won't load.
After that, I tried winpe with a USB drive. On the very first try, I was able to get into winpe, but as soon as the usual interface pop up, it froze again. Since then, every try end up with a freeze after it loads the files for winpe. Also, I have tried this usb winpe with my old computer and it didn't freeze at all.
I can get in bios without issues, and also did test my m2 drive in bios with a build-in test and no issues were found, since my computer won't boot winpe and installation even without a drive connected, I don't think the drive is causing the problems.
My motherboard doesn't have a video output, so I have to do all the tests with my video card to get any visual at all, but since it is a problem with logo freeze and no black screen is involved, I don't think it could be my video card causing the problem, but please correct me if I'm wrong.
I have tried clear cmos, and using the default bios settings, but still logo froze with all the possibilities.
My theory right now is that since I couldn't load any installation or winpe, it should be my memory that broke rather than all the other hardware, because what i know is that winpe is loaded in memory to be used, and if I can't load winpe, it should be something wrong with my memory.
I have two ddr4 memory sticks, I have tried to install one of two in the usual slot with all the possible combinations I have mentioned above, also a different slot with all the possible combinations above, but none of them works.
So, if it is my memory that broke, it will be both of them not only one.
Seems a low chance event to happen, but that's the only reason I could think of now.
However, my old computer is using ddr3, therefore I couldn't try any test with the old memory.

Colif

Win 11 Master
What are specs of the PC?
what parts have you got?

it seems unlikely both sticks "break" at the same time.
one thing they have in common is they both rely on memory controller that is on CPU
you correct it runs winpe in a ram drive. it runs the inbstaller in ram too until about the 2nd restart.

if ram doesn't work, its difficult to say what cause is without another working PC to swap parts into. You can't test CPU without ram. Everything relies on it to work.

I think you might need to get PC looked at by a repair store. They should have parts they can swap around to find cause.

could be motherboard or CPU. I won't guess.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2022
What are specs of the PC?
what parts have you got?

it seems unlikely both sticks "break" at the same time.
one thing they have in common is they both rely on memory controller that is on CPU
you correct it runs winpe in a ram drive. it runs the inbstaller in ram too until about the 2nd restart.

if ram doesn't work, its difficult to say what cause is without another working PC to swap parts into. You can't test CPU without ram. Everything relies on it to work.

I think you might need to get PC looked at by a repair store. They should have parts they can swap around to find cause.

could be motherboard or CPU. I won't guess.
thank you for the reply, I don't have a spare motherboard and cpu since the last computer I had was intel, and my new one is based on amd which makes the interchangeability to zero for those two parts XD, I guess changing side does make your Spare part storage drop to zero.
I ordered a ram to test if my theory is correct, but for now, I'm will have to switch back to the old one until my condition is enough to support me for check and changing any of those two parts.
will update if I find out why it's not working.
also my spec is 5900x, msi 570 unify , asus tuf 3080, XGP 3600hz 16gbx2(AX4U3600316G18A-DT50), 850w psu