Question What could be causing issues?

Jun 1, 2019
So I recently bought and upgraded from my old AMD fx8300 processor to an Intel i7 8700k 3.7ghz, also having to buy a new motherboard to support the intel chipset for 300 series. Ever since I upgraded, my computer has stuttered sometimes when the usage of the processor moves from one percent to another and I'm certain its not a cooling issue because the cpu stays at around 30C idle and 55C at high performance. During these stutters my audio glitches out and windows freeze up for a moment. My specs are as follows.

ASRock Z390 Pro4 Motherboard
Intel Core i7 8700k (3.7ghz) 6 Core Processor
700w Power Supply
Nvidia Gtx 1060 6gb
2x 1tb Hard Drives, WD Blue
16gb DDR4 Vengeance Ram
Corsair H100i RGB PLATINUM AIO Liquid CPU Cooler (240mm Fans)
3 Extra RGB Cooling Fans at the front of the tower for extra heat expulsion.
Windows 10 OS

Due to this issue, games that use quite a bit of CPU like Destiny 2 and Dishonored 2 can't even push more than 40fps on low settings, any help would be appreciated!

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2019
Just out of curiosity, did you do a clean install of W10 or try to use your old drive's OS from the AMD platform?
I've been using the old OS for now, being that I also do my job from my home computer at times. Should I perhaps run a clean installation when I can securely back up my work information? And if so, will I need to have a license key for Windows 10? When I changed out the motherboard, the license also got removed due to hardware changes so I don't have genuine windows anymore.

Last edited:

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
I've been using the old OS for now, being that I also do my job from my home computer at times. Should I perhaps run a clean installation when I can securely back up my work information?
Yeah, I'm wondering if the Registry might be corrupted enough that it is stealing resources and slowing down performance. You might be able to avoid a clean install, tho by running CCleaner and doing the Clean and Registry portions both. In fact, re-run them until they come back clean.

Jun 1, 2019
Yeah, I'm wondering if the Registry might be corrupted enough that it is stealing resources and slowing down performance. You might be able to avoid a clean install, tho by running CCleaner and doing the Clean and Registry portions both. In fact, re-run them until they come back clean.
I'll download and try that, if it were to not help the issue, is it possible to install windows 10 without a product key due to this being a new motherboard?

Jun 1, 2019
What's the exact make and model number of this PSU ?

Have you tried doing a FRESH Windows OS install, or better yet scan your PC for any missing/corrupted system files, and the Registry as well. Are all the CPU CORES "unparked" as well ??
Apevia ATX-BT700W Beast 700W ATX Gaming Power Supply

And all of the cores are not parked.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2019
CCleaner is telling me the registry is now coming back clean after deleting a lot of entries.

Apevia ATX-BT700W Beast 700W ATX Gaming Power Supply

Honestly speaking, I really don't think this is a very high-quality PSU, and APEVIA brand isn't trustworthy either.....I've seen pretty bad review score given by "JonnyGuru" before, on most of the units. Apevia makes very entry level, low cost products.`

I think they used to be called Aspire until 2006 that is. I would avoid using this PSU brand to power up any GAMING PC. Even though your current issue might not be directly related to power supply, kindly replace this "Apevia" for some other high-quality unit.

Try to get some other high quality PSU, IF possible. Power supplies are an imperative part of your system that should not be taken lightly. Throwing in a budget PSU could result in poor power efficiency or even a wrecked system. Don't SKIMP on the PSU,, since this is the MOST important PC component. I can't stress this enough. Just my opinion.....

PSU brands to never buy from
  • Diablotek
  • Apevia
  • Coolmax
  • Logisys
  • Sparkle
Average PSU brands (Not deadly but i would avoid them)
  • Raidmax
  • NZXT
  • Enermax
  • Cougar
  • Bitfenix
  • FSP
Good PSU brands (These psu brands have decent-great psu's but also have a few outliers)
  • EVGA
  • Corsair
  • Antec
  • Cooler master
  • Be quiet!
  • Fractal Design
  • SilverStone
Arguably the best brands
  • Seasonic
  • XFX
  • Superflower
Conclusion
Most power supplies you buy should be fine as long as you're not pushing them to the very limits. I obviously didn't include every OEM and re-seller but I listed the main ones. Pretty much all PSU manufacturers sell good and bad power supplies, it just takes a little reviewing and forethought into your system requirements before you make a selection....