What could be causing my fonts to look so bad?

Ringoko

Reputable
Jul 13, 2014
Monitor:
BenQ G2420HD
VGA D-Sub cable

New PC:
Windows 7 Professional
MSI A55M-E33 motherboard
AMD A8 5600k cpu
8GB ddr3 ram
Corsair CX430 psu

Old PC:
Windows 7 Professional
Acer Aspire X3812
Generic Acer MB.SCV01.001 motherboard
Intel Q8300 cpu
4GB ddr2 ram

TL/DR: Two computers, same monitor, same cable, same windows, so why the different appearance?

I have just built a new PC. On my old and new PC I have freshly installed windows 7, and updated the chipset, bios etc. I am using the same monitor and VGA cable to check the ouput of both. With my old PC everything looks fine, but on the new PC fonts look bad. They are thin and jagged, with a kind of yellow blur and fuzziness to them.

This is a screenshot I took in my new PC - http://i.imgur.com/ZbzrYY3.png. On my old PC this exact screenshot looks fine, but on the new PC I see the yellow fuzziness.

I have tested my new CPU with the PassMark Performance Test and every aspect of the results looked ok. I've set up Cleartype on both computers. The AMD Radeon shows up in the Adapter tab in Screen Resolution advanced settings. The monitor is set to the same recommended setting on both PC's - 1920x1080 @ 60Hz.

On my new PC, I have the same problem if I connect to my monitor via HDMI. So I don't think the VGA connection is the problem.

Something else to consider - on my new PC there is slightly more 'flickering' on the screen than on my old PC. This is most obvious on a darker screen, such as when I shut down with unsaved programs and I get the 'waiting' screen - the flickering is quite noticable there. However when I connect via HDMI the flickering is gone.

If I bought a cheap graphics card, could that solve the problem? I don't play games though and didn't think I would need one.

ailos

Reputable
Jun 23, 2014
If you have HDMI Use it, It's better than VGA, And what do you mean by "Fonts looking bad" Are they low resolution? Parts of them missing?
If you only see these problems on the font itself like no icons or something than something is probably broken within the OS, Try reinstalling and see if it helps!

Ringoko

Reputable
Jul 13, 2014

Thanks, I switched to HDMI and reset the monitor settings and everything looks much better :)