What could be causing performance issues with this PC build?

AyePal

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2012
One of our clients has provided us with a PC in order to test some interactive software with them. The interactives are made with HTML5 and are simple image carrousel viewers with information text boxes. There are also a couple of interactives with simple low-poly 3D meshes.

Here are the specs of the PC: -

- Dell Precison Rack 7910 CTO base (210-ACYX)
- Intel Xeon Processor E5-2603 v3 (6C, 15MB Cache, 1.6GHz)
- 16GB (4x4GB) 2133MHz DDR4 RDIMM ECC
- 2.5" 256GB SATA Class 30 Solid State Drive
- AMD FirePro W5100 4GB (4 DP) (2 DP to SL-DVI adapters)

Looking through those specs it seems as though the PC would be able to handle the rendering of images and simple 3D models. However, we are still noticing points during the interactive. The only thing that I think could be causing the performance issues is the Intel Xeon Processor, as it seems relatively slow.

Would anyone be able to shine any light on why this PC build might be causing low framerate/performance issues?

Solution
My best guess is that due to the age of that rackmount server, it's components performance has degraded quite a lot and it can't keep up with today's standards. Also, at the time of the server's launch in 2014, E5-2603 v3 was the weakest 6 core Xeon in Haswell EP family and FirePro W5100 was considered mid-range 3D GPU. Today, both, CPU and GPU are low-end components.

With LGA2011-3 socket MoBo in use, it's easy to upgrade CPU and GPU as well to better performing ones without replacing the rest of the hardware.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
My best guess is that due to the age of that rackmount server, it's components performance has degraded quite a lot and it can't keep up with today's standards. Also, at the time of the server's launch in 2014, E5-2603 v3 was the weakest 6 core Xeon in Haswell EP family and FirePro W5100 was considered mid-range 3D GPU. Today, both, CPU and GPU are low-end components.

With LGA2011-3 socket MoBo in use, it's easy to upgrade CPU and GPU as well to better performing ones without replacing the rest of the hardware.

Solution