Question what could be reducing my internet speed to one server only, and only on my pc?

Jan 24, 2020
This is odd, I know. I'm a web designer, and currently I have speed problems downloading files from my own dedicated server. I've already searched everywhere and found nothing about this, I hope any of you have any answers, these are the sympthoms:

• If I download a file (lets call it testfile.rar) from my own website from my own pc using a ftp client or web browser, the maximum speed I get is 500kb/s. I should get 9mb.
  • Already tested different browsers, cleared cache, etc.
  • Already tested other files from other accounts (domains) on my server, still 500kb/s.
  • If I reboot my computer in safe mode with networking, I still get 500kb/s and still get full speed from any other site other than mine.
  • Downloading any other file from any other server, I get full download speed, so this is limited (so far) to my own server.
  • If I download testfile.rar from my smartphone using my carrier internet data, I get full speed (4G).
  • If I download testfile.rar from my dedicated server to a laptop and another computer other than mine here in the office, using the same router than my pc, I get full speed.
  • Already disabled all of those windows "save bandwidth" options available.
This issue affects only my own computer. Already tried disabling my wired connection and testing download using a wifi adapter, still get the same 500kb/s. Using that very same wifi adapter downloading any other file from any other web site, I get my full 9mb speed.

What annoys me the most, is that I had this very same issue about 3 years ago, the fix whas so easy that I said "no need to write this down, it's easy to remember", but obviously I've forgotten. Yes, I do have a log with all the little technical issues that happens once in a while so I don't have to spend hours searching for a solution next time.

Anyone has a clue of what's wrong?

Hello

Can you please check if the DNS servers are configured correctly on your PC? The Primary DNS server should be the IP address of the Router (or a dedicated DNS server if your network has one), and the Alternate DNS server can be anything like a different DNS server on your network, DNS server of the ISP, or that of Google's.

Please try the above solution and check for the DNS addresses on the PCs that are configured correctly.

Feel free to report back with the results for any further assistance.

Cheers!!

Feb 1, 2020
From a command prompt, ping your server from both your PC and the fast laptop and compare the propagation times and look for any packet losses, i.e. "ping myserver.com. ".

I'll bet the two are wildly different. Analyze your routing further on each device by using the tracert command to show you what viveknayyar007 is trying to get you to see above what your DNS configuration is doing to you., i.e. "tracert myserver.com".

Jan 24, 2020
Hello

Can you please check if the DNS servers are configured correctly on your PC? The Primary DNS server should be the IP address of the Router (or a dedicated DNS server if your network has one), and the Alternate DNS server can be anything like a different DNS server on your network, DNS server of the ISP, or that of Google's.

Please try the above solution and check for the DNS addresses on the PCs that are configured correctly.

Feel free to report back with the results for any further assistance.

Cheers!!

Just tried this and speed is still about 10% of the available speed, tried donwloading from different sites (AMD drivers, a website named Download Test Files, etc.), anything else to try?

I also noticed Windows detects there's no Internet access, which is weird, because there it is!

Jan 24, 2020
From a command prompt, ping your server from both your PC and the fast laptop and compare the propagation times and look for any packet losses, i.e. "ping myserver.com. ".

I'll bet the two are wildly different. Analyze your routing further on each device by using the tracert command to show you what viveknayyar007 is trying to get you to see above what your DNS configuration is doing to you., i.e. "tracert myserver.com".

Ping between computers vary about 10ms, I think that's not a big issue since the laptop is wireless and my pc, which is the one with the connection issues, is wired... but I can't tracert my server or any other website:

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms RT-AC88U-E080 [192.168.0.1]
2 * * * Tiempo de espera agotado para esta solicitud.
3 10.5.56.84 informes: Red de destino inaccesible.

Traza completa.

I have both a Ubee cablemodem (with router functions) and a Asus router. The cablemodem has a builtin traceroute function and still can't trace any domain:

Performing traceroute to (185.113.25.55) from (10.88.242.179), 30 hops max, 72 byte packets

01 * * *
02 10.5.56.84 10 ms !N * 10 ms !N
Traceroute aborted (host unreachable).

Please note the Ubee cablemodem don't allow me to change the DNS, the alternate DNSs are set in the Asus router.

Internet ---> Ubee Cablemodem/Router ---> Asus RT-AC88U Router ---> My PC

I also noticed Windows says I have no internet connection. This is driving me insane. I don't want to reinstall windows.

Feb 1, 2020
You are unable to run tracert without it aborting. This tells us something is amiss in your configuration. The other command you can run is
ipconfig /all
This will tell you how you are connected.
Your picture indicates:

Internet ---> Ubee Cablemodem/Router ---> Asus RT-AC88U Router ---> My PC

I would suggest temporarily bypassing the Router to see if performance improves, in other words hard wire your PC directly to your Cablemodem.

Internet ---> Ubee Cablemodem/Router ---> My PC

This will give you a dedicated pipe through the Ubee to the internet.

You also mentioned using a wifi adapter. The Asus is a wifi router, is the Ubee as well? Which Ubee model is it? There are a lot of variables here that should be eliminated. You could have DNS conflicts between your two routers. ThIs is difficult to evaluate your network without sitting in front of your machine and poking around your network. ipconfig /all will tell you how each PC is connected. Run that from your machine, then from one of the machines with the high speed performance. But first eliminate the wifi entirely by running your ethernet cable to the Ubee Cablemodem/Router instead of the Asus router.

It's still puzzling that you can get the 9mb performance to other servers, just not your own. Some link in your network chain is choking only your connection to your server. You may want to reboot everything, your server, the Ubee, the Asus and your PC to get a fresh start.

-Guy Simonian