[SOLVED] What could be slowing my pc?

Feb 6, 2021
Hi there, my pc build is a Ryzen 5 3600X, GTX 1050TI, 16gb ram, 1TB HDD, and and tomahawk mb.

My pc can run a lot of games at high-ultra settings, but then I have games like Escape From Tarkov, that barely runs at 60fps at lowest possible settings.

I can play overwatch on mostly ultra, and maintain atleast 80-90 fps, but then I can hardly run something like squad or arma.

I personally think its my processor, and i am looking into upgrading to a Ryzen 9, but figured i would come see if someone else has a better understanding of what might be the issue.

Solution
what might be the issue.

I see two "issues", which aren't actual issues:
  1. your GPU
  2. your HDD

GPU alone plays a big role on how much FPS you're getting when playing different games. Also, not all games are equal and some games are GPU heavy while other are CPU heavy. Oh, game optimization plays a role as well. I've played games which run fine on high/ultra settings but as soon as i set it to low settings, all kinds of stutter start to happen.

So, if you want better performance in games (given that it's not the game issue), upgrade your GPU.

HDD doesn't make you get less FPS, but what HDD does, is increasing game loading times considerably. Getting a SSD and putting your OS + games on it fixes that "issue"...

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
what might be the issue.

I see two "issues", which aren't actual issues:
  1. your GPU
  2. your HDD

GPU alone plays a big role on how much FPS you're getting when playing different games. Also, not all games are equal and some games are GPU heavy while other are CPU heavy. Oh, game optimization plays a role as well. I've played games which run fine on high/ultra settings but as soon as i set it to low settings, all kinds of stutter start to happen.

So, if you want better performance in games (given that it's not the game issue), upgrade your GPU.

HDD doesn't make you get less FPS, but what HDD does, is increasing game loading times considerably. Getting a SSD and putting your OS + games on it fixes that "issue".

Upgrading your CPU may be worthwhile if you'd play CPU heavy games (e.g Cities: Skylines, Civilization) and your current CPU can't cope with huge cities/empires.

Reactions: Rksinister
Solution