Question What could be some potential causes for stuttering in video games?

Feb 16, 2019
What could be some potential causes for stuttering video games?

How to check for them?

And maybe , just maybe , how to fix them?

acecreator26

Commendable
Mar 9, 2018
What could be some potential causes for stuttering video games?

How to check for them?

And maybe , just maybe , how to fix them?
Well for starters, running a game off of an HDD rather than an SSD could cause stuttering. There really is no solid fix as far as I'm aware except de-fragging your drive and cleaning it up. Other than that, buying an SSD would be your best bet.

Other issues could be having a poor GPU, having lots of applications open, or just having an old PC that isn't powerful enough to provide an amazing gaming experience.

Feb 16, 2019
Well for starters, running a game off of an HDD rather than an SSD could cause stuttering. There really is no solid fix as far as I'm aware except de-fragging your drive and cleaning it up. Other than that, buying an SSD would be your best bet.

Other issues could be having a poor GPU, having lots of applications open, or just having an old PC that isn't powerful enough to provide an amazing gaming experience.
Hmm... Probably the drive , my rx580 was running everything over 150frames... Drive is 1% fragmented though...
I have no idea what im going to do if i dont fix this lol

Last edited:

acecreator26

Commendable
Mar 9, 2018
Hmm... Probably the drive , my rx580 was running everything over 150frames... Drive is 1% fragmented though...
I have no idea what im going to do if i dont fix this lol
Even if the drive isn't fragmented just the fact that you have an HDD could cause a stutter. That's why hardcore gamers and streamers all have their games installed on SSD's.

acecreator26

Commendable
Mar 9, 2018
True , but the thing is everything was absolutely perfect just 4 days ago on the same drive , same games.
Is it possible that you could've downloaded some sort of virus or trojan on your PC that could be causing a slow down? This sort of thing has happened to me before and I found a great bit of software that fixed my PC up without restoring windows. I can't give you a perfect answer but I can provide ideas of what the problem could be.

Here is the link to a great piece of software that can scan your PC for viruses, and it will remove them. It is a paid software, but it includes a 30-day free trial period. FYI the website looks super sketchy but don't worry, it's completely secure.

Feb 16, 2019
Is it possible that you could've downloaded some sort of virus or trojan on your PC that could be causing a slow down? This sort of thing has happened to me before and I found a great bit of software that fixed my PC up without restoring windows. I can't give you a perfect answer but I can provide ideas of what the problem could be.

Here is the link to a great piece of software that can scan your PC for viruses, and it will remove them. It is a paid software, but it includes a 30-day free trial period. FYI the website looks super sketchy but don't worry, it's completely secure.
The thing is i was using one of the free antiviruses , this one was kaspersky , and it was at 99% and it had found a trojan , but it was stuck at 99 and it had locked me out, and i couldnt turn my pc off or access task manager so i rebooted and uninstalled the av , but i think the trojan is still there so ill check your recommendation. Thanks.

acecreator26

Commendable
Mar 9, 2018
The thing is i was using one of the free antiviruses , this one was kaspersky , and it was at 99% and it had found a trojan , but it was stuck at 99 and it had locked me out, and i couldnt turn my pc off or access task manager so i rebooted and uninstalled the av , but i think the trojan is still there so ill check your recommendation. Thanks.
No problem, let me know how it turns out for you :)

Reactions: skrenchy
Feb 16, 2019
No problem, let me know how it turns out for you :)
Sorry for the late answer , im EU , have to get my beauty sleep.
I dont even know how to thank you , this fixed my stuttering completely.
Thank you so much , i actually teared up seeing the stutter free game (theres something wrong with me lol).
Thank you.