[SOLVED] What could be the cause of FPS drops in games?

Snak3yz

Reputable
Mar 4, 2020
I've recently been having major fps drops when playing games (from 144 down to 60/80/sometimes as low as 10). I recently got a new cpu because I thought it was my old ones bent pins affecting it, but I am still having the same problems. I have updated my drivers, closed all background tasks, memory is in optimal slots, I play on all low settings in games.

My specs are:
Ryzen 5 5600x
Gigabyte 570 UD Mobo
2070s GPU,
16gb corsair vengeance ram
750w gold PSU

I have a 1440p display, 8GB of VRAM. I have 2 SSDs where the games are installed. I have monitored gpu and cpu temps in game, they don't exceed 70/80C. My cpu and gpu don't even exceed like 40/50% in the task manager performance tab when playing these games.

Solution
Corsair RM750x Gold 750W is the psu. Yes, thats the motherboard. Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit (is that the version?) Bios version F31. Games are Genshin Impact (low settings) and Fortnite (performance mode). I'll try reinstalling drivers now.
Based on the BIOS section for your motherboard, the BIOS F31 doesn't exist. It goes from F30 (dated 2020/09/15) to F32 (dated 2021/01/18). The latest version is F35 (dated 2021/07/13), which is 6 months more recent than the one you got. If after you reinstall the drivers, I'd suggest a fresh Windows installation to discard any software (+malware/virus) issues. If everything else fails, try updating your BIOS to the latest version and see if it helps.

Lutfij

Titan
750W is the wattage of the PSU while gold is likely the 80+ certification on the stickered portion of the PSU. What is the make and model of the unit? Is this the motherboard you're working with? What version of Windows 10 are you working with? BIOS version for the motherboard? What games are you taxing the system with?

Source the latest GPU drivers from Nvidia's support site, then use DDU to uninstall your GPU drivers, reboot in Safe Mode and reinstall the latest driver in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator. See if that helps bring your frames up.

Snak3yz

Reputable
Mar 4, 2020
750W is the wattage of the PSU while gold is likely the 80+ certification on the stickered portion of the PSU. What is the make and model of the unit? Is this the motherboard you're working with? What version of Windows 10 are you working with? BIOS version for the motherboard? What games are you taxing the system with?

Source the latest GPU drivers from Nvidia's support site, then use DDU to uninstall your GPU drivers, reboot in Safe Mode and reinstall the latest driver in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator. See if that helps bring your frames up.
Corsair RM750x Gold 750W is the psu. Yes, thats the motherboard. Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit (is that the version?) Bios version F31. Games are Genshin Impact (low settings) and Fortnite (performance mode). I'll try reinstalling drivers now.

Udyr

Honorable
Mar 3, 2021
Based on the BIOS section for your motherboard, the BIOS F31 doesn't exist. It goes from F30 (dated 2020/09/15) to F32 (dated 2021/01/18). The latest version is F35 (dated 2021/07/13), which is 6 months more recent than the one you got. If after you reinstall the drivers, I'd suggest a fresh Windows installation to discard any software (+malware/virus) issues. If everything else fails, try updating your BIOS to the latest version and see if it helps.

Solution