[SOLVED] What Could Be The Issue With My Dos Build

Feb 19, 2020
Let Me Start Off With The Specs:

Motherboard: Intel An430TX
CPU: Pentium 200 MMX
PSU: Some old 300W, I know its old because it has a floppy 4 pin linked up with the 4 pins Molex
GPU: I Don't Know buddy sold it to me, came out of an IBM but it works
Sound card: Same Deal^
RAM: 128MB PC100

Trying To Boot Dos 6.22 off of 3.5" floppies (they are good because I tested them on a Windows XP machine)

I wiped the CMOS when I got everything together, and went in the bios and made proper adjustments to where it reads floppies first, then hard drives, optical, so on so forth. there are no errors on post but when it tries to boot I just end up getting a flashing Underscore "_", somewhat normal thing, but I put a floppy in and it does nothing, I reboot the system, nothing, I try different orientations of the floppy cable, get errors, tried 3 other floppy drives, nothing. Pretty much I have tried everything I have seen online since I'm not 100% familiar with old technology like this.

My buddy (the one who sold me the cards) said that the floppy interface may be dead, it posted 1 time out of the at least 300 times I have tried to get it to work, and it was when I didn't adjust anything. but i thought, since the CPU is heavily used, it could be that but at the same time I'm clueless because i get the underscore, figured id ask here and would appreciate any help since im about 4 years younger than this setup.

Solution
Figured it out
Bad PSU oddly enough. Replaced it with a 600w EVGA Bronze, was just a cheapy I got off NewEgg for 50$ on sale and got some connectors for it as well, works fantastic. swapped out the floppy cable too but im going to test it on another machine due to shorthandedness of them.
Feb 19, 2020
Figured it out
Bad PSU oddly enough. Replaced it with a 600w EVGA Bronze, was just a cheapy I got off NewEgg for 50$ on sale and got some connectors for it as well, works fantastic. swapped out the floppy cable too but im going to test it on another machine due to shorthandedness of them.

Last edited:
Solution

TRENDING THREADS