[SOLVED] What could be the problem or cause for bottelnecking?

saulsilver82

Prominent
Jan 21, 2020
So some games tend to...drop the FPS. Rig is kind of old school. Please let me know what i can do. I'm a newbie when it comes to system checks so bear with me on this one.

CPU: Intel i5 4690k
GPU: Zotac GTX 1060 6GB
PSU: Seasonic 550w Fully Modular
MoBo: Asus Z97-K
RAM : Hyper X Fury 2X4GB 1866Mhz(?)

Solution
Would it be okay to ask what would be the best budget Ryzen as of the moment?
Price to performance I'd say the Ryzen 2600 for like $120.

This is probably the best price to features motherboard out there. It has Wifi/Bluetooth for an excellent price and the BIOS was easy to navigate and to get XMP to work (recently did a build with this board).

PCPartPicker Part List
Motherboard: ASRock B450M/AC Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($84.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $84.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-01-21 14:43 EST-0500

Ryzen performs noticeably better with fast memory so 2x8gb @3200 is ideal. I've used this kit in my current build (Ryzen...

WildCard999

Titan
Which games?

Spec wise the 8gb memory and 4 core CPU may have difficulty running newer FPS/Open world style games.

If you haven't yet, overclocking the CPU could help.

Reactions: saulsilver82
Jan 21, 2020
Your system seems to be pretty well balanced. Usually it is the gpu which has the biggest effect on fps/performance. Your system IS a bit old, but not too bad, it is just not very "high end" so you may not get very high fps on the latest games. Also, bottlenecking is pretty much impossible to avoid, however it can be minimized by more equal components (in the same price range per se).

saulsilver82

Prominent
Jan 21, 2020
Which games?

Spec wise the 8gb memory and 4 core CPU may have difficulty running newer FPS/Open world style games.

If you haven't yet, overclocking the CPU could help.

Ahh I see. Well, funnily enough the games that i play are usually the Fallen Order, Far Cry, GTA V. So the RAM might be the problem here? I did try the overclocking but in terms of performance, i didn't see any difference.

WildCard999

Titan
Ahh I see. Well, funnily enough the games that i play are usually the Fallen Order, Far Cry, GTA V. So the RAM might be the problem here? I did try the overclocking but in terms of performance, i didn't see any difference.
RAM could play a part in the FPS dips as 8gb is pretty much the min nowadays and 16gb is ideal. Just to be sure though monitor the CPU/GPU temps as well as usage while gaming.
https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Neither CPU nor GPU should exceed 80C. Also let us know what the CPU/GPU usage is.

saulsilver82

Prominent
Jan 21, 2020
RAM could play a part in the FPS dips as 8gb is pretty much the min nowadays and 16gb is ideal. Just to be sure though monitor the CPU/GPU temps as well as usage while gaming.
https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Neither CPU nor GPU should exceed 80C. Also let us know what the CPU/GPU usage is.
Ahh I see, well as for the GPU and CPU temps, usually it's only at full load - 60-68C 75C tops (given that i'm in a tropical country) upon last checking though. I would update you guys when i get back from work.

saulsilver82

Prominent
Jan 21, 2020
Your system seems to be pretty well balanced. Usually it is the gpu which has the biggest effect on fps/performance. Your system IS a bit old, but not too bad, it is just not very "high end" so you may not get very high fps on the latest games. Also, bottlenecking is pretty much impossible to avoid, however it can be minimized by more equal components (in the same price range per se).
Appreciate the answer brother, do you have any suggestion on changing anything from them? Tho right now i'm on a tight leash budget wise.

EndEffeKt_24

Commendable
Mar 27, 2019
I had a 4690k until recently and yes it is 4c/4t but with a 4,5 ghz overclock it still holds its ground.
You will need a platform upgrade in the nearer future and I would advise against buying a 4790k for example. Spend 30 $ on 16gb ddr 3 ram and thats the last upgrade for that system.
Depending on your cpu cooler you could try to overclock the cpu.

saulsilver82

Prominent
Jan 21, 2020
Lowering the graphic settings could help a bit with the FPS dips. More memory could help but honestly I'd save up for a newer platform (DDR4/Intel Cascadelake or AMD Ryzen).
I'm actually saving up for a new rig. Mainly, to have this old rig of mine be for Studio Recording.

WildCard999

Titan

This is probably the best price to features motherboard out there. It has Wifi/Bluetooth for an excellent price and the BIOS was easy to navigate and to get XMP to work (recently did a build with this board).

PCPartPicker Part List

Ryzen performs noticeably better with fast memory so 2x8gb @3200 is ideal. I've used this kit in my current build (Ryzen 2600) and the build with the above motherboard, no issues.

PCPartPicker Part List
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($72.98 @ Amazon)
Total: $72.98
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-01-21 14:45 EST-0500

Solution

saulsilver82

Prominent
Jan 21, 2020
Lowering the graphic settings could help a bit with the FPS dips. More memory could help but honestly I'd save up for a newer platform (DDR4/Intel Cascadelake or AMD Ryzen).
BTW, would this setup be okay?

CPU: Ryzen 2600X
GPU: GTX 1660 or RTX 2060 (if i get lucky on the work bonus)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200Mhz
MoBo: ?? not sure on how to build Ryzens as i'm still on the 1150 haha

WildCard999

Titan

See the post above.

The Corsair Vengeance would work fine and if the 2600X isn't much more expensive then the 2600 then it may be worth getting as the cooler is a little bit better.

WildCard999

Titan
I'm curious on this one, would this work good on the games I would be playing?
Possibly if the games can utilize the additional cores/threads on the Ryzen. I have a 2600/1660S/16gb and FC3/4 and GTA V are smooth at 2650x1080P/75hz but I am also using Freesync monitor with DP cable so I can use the adaptive sync with Nvidia although when I monitor the FPS they are pretty much stable.

saulsilver82

Prominent
Jan 21, 2020

PCPartPicker Part List

Ryzen performs noticeably better with fast memory so 2x8gb @3200 is ideal. I've used this kit in my current build (Ryzen 2600) and the build with the above motherboard, no issues.

PCPartPicker Part List
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($72.98 @ Amazon)
Total: $72.98
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-01-21 14:45 EST-0500
By the way, thanks for the help on the parts too. I actually was looking at the Aorus B450 but yeah anyway, i'm still checking and putting on a wishlist haha!

EndEffeKt_24

Commendable
Mar 27, 2019

I personally would do a platform upgrade and keep the 1060 for the moment. Test the new system and then decide if you want a new gpu and which one. Maybe save up to get a substantial gpu upgrade.
And if you are missing some bucks for the system the refreshed R5 1600 AF on the 12nm node is a great budget option. Just make sure it is a AF cpu not the older AE.

saulsilver82

Prominent
Jan 21, 2020
You can't really go wrong with the B450 boards but for the cost that Asrock B450/M AC is tough to pass by, even if you don't use the wifi the Bluetooth for controllers and headsets could be nice.
Thanks again man!

If I were to save up, let's say for about a few months, a year at most, what would be the best budget rig that can play 1080 without hiccups?

WildCard999

Titan
Thanks again man!

If I were to save up, let's say for about a few months, a year at most, what would be the best budget rig that can play 1080 without hiccups?
Tough to say as AMD is releasing the 4th Gen at some point in the year and if previous trends follow the pricing on the 2nd/3rd Gen will drop so maybe the 3600 would be the best price to performance buy but there's no way to know until it happens. Plus we need to see what performance 4th Gen brings to the table but for long term you'll want something with at least 6 cores and hyperthreading.