Question What could be the reasons for having 150+ more ping in one specific game

Dec 26, 2022
I've been having issues recently with extremely high ping while trying to play OW2. For 80% of the time it will be in the 240-290ms range, then the last 20% is around 90ms, which is usually pretty normal for me.

When compared to other games like Valorant and League, my ping ranges from 60-100ms.

For all games I've confirmed that my region is set to NA, which is my local region. Also, because my ping in OW2 drops to my average ping, 90, I'm hesitant to blame it on server location.

Also for some context, I was playing OW2 with no issues until about Thursday of the previous week, so this has been an issue for about 4 days.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Where do you get the ping numbers. Are you running a actual ping command or is this some ingame number. Games lie all the time.

Can you get the the IP addresses of the actual server you are using. What does a actual ping command say the latency is.

If you run tracert to a IP on games that work and to ow2 you might see where the delays are different. Remember this must be the actual game servers not their web site or the authentication servers, you need the actual game servers IP.

The problem will be if you find some delay in the network that is different between the game you generally can't do much about it. You have no control over the path your data takes and if there is some issue in the path it might not even be in your ISP network.

What tends to be more common is the game is telling lies. It gets stuck doing something like rendering some video frame and then when it finally gets around to reading the data from its ping it blames the extra delay on the network rather than it considers reading the buffer low priority.