[SOLVED] What could be wrong with my PC ?

SawmMawia

Great
Jan 17, 2021
When i press the Power Button,it is not turning on
First guess was the power cable,tried it on my monitor and it seemed to be fine
Next guess was the psu,after performing a test with a paperclip,it also seemed to be fine
Next i thought it was the front panel connectors,manually touched the motherboard pins and it still wont turn on
I also replaced the cmos battrey
Help would be much appreciated!

iPeekYou

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2014
When i press the Power Button,it is not turning on
First guess was the power cable,tried it on my monitor and it seemed to be fine
Next guess was the psu,after performing a test with a paperclip,it also seemed to be fine
Next i thought it was the front panel connectors,manually touched the motherboard pins and it still wont turn on
I also replaced the cmos battrey
Help would be much appreciated!

What kind of not turning on? Do the fans spin continuously at full speed? Or no sign of life at all?

iPeekYou

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2014
If I had to guess, it's the PSU. Not enough power to spin the CPU fans and whatnot. Paperclip test tests whether the PSU is totally dead or not; not will the PSU work in a system.

I suspect if it's the motherboard, the fans will spin but at full speed all the time due to power going through the board, but no PWM signal/DC control. It's still possible, and if the PC isn't completely dead it'd chalk it up to dead MB since at least we know the PSU isn't 100% dead.

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran

SawmMawia

Great
Jan 17, 2021
If I had to guess, it's the PSU. Not enough power to spin the CPU fans and whatnot. Paperclip test tests whether the PSU is totally dead or not; not will the PSU work in a system.

I suspect if it's the motherboard, the fans will spin but at full speed all the time due to power going through the board, but no PWM signal/DC control. It's still possible, and if the PC isn't completely dead it'd chalk it up to dead MB since at least we know the PSU isn't 100% dead.
Can a digital multimeter confirm it?
I also have a spare psu with the exact model,i'll try it out too

TRENDING THREADS