[SOLVED] What could be wrong with my PSU? (Buzzing sound coming from the case)

R1 owner

Reputable
Apr 10, 2017
Hello fellow PC enthusiasts,

I have an ongoing problem with my PC case, Theres a constant BUZZ sound coming from it.,Ssometimes it gets very extreme and sometimes it stays manageable.
The interesting thing about it is that when i hit the case on the top with the side of my fist slightly, the buzzing sound intensity reduces. Then about 5-10 minutes later it picks up again.
(Hence the post in the PSU section)
Also another important pointer : When the PC is shutting down, there's an interesting sound coming from the case similar to something like a reactor shutting down.
I attached the sound file that i recorded during a PC shutdown. (shutdown initiates @0:20

This wasn't such a big issue before, but lately it became unbearable. Even with sound canceling studio headphones i can hear the buzzing in the background. Became impossible to watch a movie or listen to anything.

Things i've tried so far:
-Cleaned every fan and greased them, tested every fan one by one. Every fan is silent as wind. No issue there
-Cleaned every nook and cranny from dust
-Reassambled the PC components

PSU : Corsair VS550

Im hoping someone here experienced this issue and could have knowledge about what's the problem & solutions might be.

Thank you for reading.

Solution
Usually, buzzing coils herald a power supply that is straining at the top of its ability to supply current to the attached loads. Extended overheating and simple age naturally reduces the maximum load that it can handle over time.

Lower quality power supplies have components of lower quality in them, exacerbating the affect that overheating and age has on the unit. It's likely that the coils are minimally potted, allowing windings to "sing" somewhat under load.

Sometimes you get cool,"singing" because of interactions between load variations and a good quality power supply...something of a resonance effect that expresses itself between PS and load.

I think that, in this case, we can safely assume that a higher quality power supply...

R1 owner

Reputable
Apr 10, 2017
If it comes to that, what should i replace it with? Around same price range. 600W is enough for my system. The PSU tier list on Tomshardware has been purged. Could you give me some suggestions? CX series any good?

CX is one step up from VS. TX is another step better. RM is another step better. HX, better yet. AX is top of the heap.

Even if budget is a concern, skip CX / CX-M and go for TX or RM.

[EDIT]
Rule of thumb for selecting a power supply and having it be trouble-free for years:
Calculate the total power your system build will consume.
Add 20% to that to account for affects of aging and future growth.
Multiply that by 1.7.
Select a power supply having an output power rating that is equal-to, or greater than your result.

Last edited:
Reactions: Metal Messiah.

R1 owner

Reputable
Apr 10, 2017
CX is one step up from VS. TX is another step better. RM is another step better. HX, better yet. AX is top of the heap.

Even if budget is a concern, skip CX / CX-M and go for TX or RM.

Thank you, i'll get to that.

(edit) : TX750M or RM750x which one would you get?

But staying on topic, is there any way to reduce this sound? What might be causing this? Is this a common issue with PSU's?

Last edited:
Usually, buzzing coils herald a power supply that is straining at the top of its ability to supply current to the attached loads. Extended overheating and simple age naturally reduces the maximum load that it can handle over time.

Lower quality power supplies have components of lower quality in them, exacerbating the affect that overheating and age has on the unit. It's likely that the coils are minimally potted, allowing windings to "sing" somewhat under load.

Sometimes you get cool,"singing" because of interactions between load variations and a good quality power supply...something of a resonance effect that expresses itself between PS and load.

I think that, in this case, we can safely assume that a higher quality power supply will take care of the issue for you.

Last edited:
Solution

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
The VS series being of low quality aside, are you sure it's not a mechanical sound from the fan/bearing that sort of thing?

I'm asking about it being mechanical because you said it increased after the cleaning you did and it subsides after banging the case. Also you said the sound is "coming from the case". Are you quite sure the PSU is the source?

It sounds a bit like coil whine too although it's not that clear to me over the humming of the fans and all.

R1 owner

Reputable
Apr 10, 2017
The VS series being of low quality aside, are you sure it's not a mechanical sound from the fan/bearing that sort of thing?

I'm asking about it being mechanical because you said it increased after the cleaning you did and it subsides after banging the case. Also you said the sound is "coming from the case". Are you quite sure the PSU is the source?

It sounds a bit like coil whine too although it's not that clear to me over the humming of the fans and all.
Yeah i've tested every fan one by one with a controller too, also all my fans are corsair SP editions with rubber bearings to prevent vibrating sound. The sound is coming from somewhere else entirely. My HDD's are secure too so that leaves the PSU.. which is more than 2,5years old.

R1 owner

Reputable
Apr 10, 2017

Thank you a lot Allan. Is it possible for me to open up the PSU and check the coils state? Any particular state that I should be looking out for? (ie. color changes, phsyical deterioration)

Not a problem.

It really is doubtful that a visual examination will tell you much. If the coils are "loose"--and that's a relative term--the motion is diminishingly small; so, or poking at them with a something or other, or even feeling them with your fingers, really won't tell you much.

You can remove the end from a stethoscope, and poke around in there with the tube end to see if you can localize the sound; but I REALLY DON'T RECOMMEND THAT ANYBODY MESS AROUND IN AN OPEN AND ENERGIZED POWER SUPPLY. Particularly if your mains supply is greater than 125VAC.

You can, but DON'T.