Question What could cause my win7 to sometimes boot slowly and have an extremely slowed down performance?

Jul 7, 2019
I really don't know what could be causing it, but this issue has been happening to me for some weeks now. Win7 will boot slowly, and when I can use the PC the performance will be extremely slow: opening new windows, playing games or using programs all develop in what would seem slowmotion.
I use an ssd for my OS and have up to 16gb of ram, I have performed defrags, disabled programs on startup, checked everywhere and nothing seems to work. I don't know what is causing this issue at all. Last resort I have is dumping all the info into a hard drive and formatting the whole thing.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
What SSD is this? You defragged the SSD?

No need to defrag a SSD and it helps nothing and only shortens their life.

As said above, I'd also suggest, check drive's SMART health status with HD Sentinel from here and if it's OK do a clean install of Windows.

Jul 7, 2019
Easiest thing to suspect is ram-starved but @16g, that shouldn't be the problem. I will run something like HDsentinel to ascertain SSD healthy following by WinSat, AND run this with SAFE Mode.

After that, definitely I would re-install OS from clean.
I will try this now. When I have a couple of days I can dump the whole thing and do the re-install.

What SSD is this? You defragged the SSD?

No need to defrag a SSD and it helps nothing and only shortens their life.

As said above, I'd also suggest, check drive's SMART health status with HD Sentinel from here and if it's OK do a clean install of Windows.

I did not knew that defragging ssds affected them negatively. I use Diskdefrag and usually I just defrag my HDDs.

I did not knew that defragging ssds affected them negatively. I use Diskdefrag and usually I just defrag my HDDs.
It doesn't break it, it just unnecessary to add write cycles to a SSD which has LIMITED lifetime write cycles.

As far as for HD, recently I came across a post somebody desires to restore something deleted, and he casually mentioned he has a daily automated de-frag procedure. The way you hope to recover anything deleted is, hope NOTHING HAVE WRITTEN OVER YET.

Sometime I sense folks obsess about things they been told they need to do. KNOW WHAT THE DOWNSIDES ARE.