Question What could cause these problems?

May 1, 2019
So i bought a used pc from my friend a while ago. I used it for about 2 months and the hdd died. Bought a new hdd it worked for a month and i started hearing cracking/rebooting noised from the hdd, it had warranty so i gave it back and they said that hdd was faulty and gave me a new one.

A week after installing the new hdd i woke up , turn on my pc and got a ''no signal'' on the monitor nothing happened , just black screen and spinning fans , so i turned it off and and on again , booted up to windows no problem, thought that something maybe happened by accident. Woke up the next morning , turned on the pc and the same ''no signal'' again, knew somethings not right , checked all the cables and immidiately tried to find a solution. It said to try booting the pc without any usb devices plugged in , so i did , and everything booted just fine ! It's annoying that i have to unplug everything before turning my pc on :mad: .

So i was playing games, and i heard that cracking/rebooting noises from my hdd , my heart stopped because i knew what's going on and i exit the game, the noises stop , but once i open my broweser,game or anything else the hdd was just killing itself. So i gave the hdd back the shop , they tested it by themselves and gave me another one AGAIN.

So i plugged it up , as soon as the windows installation started the hdd was cracking/doing boot-up clicking noises , didn't even install 1% and error popped up saying something like it ''couldnt install windows,something not found '' , dont really remember.I tried installing windows couple times and the ''no bootable device'' popped up and i knew the hdd is dead again.

So the pc is sitting on my desk collecting dust now . I have saved up $800 and i want to build a completely new decent pc. I want to fix this one and sell it for $400 (Monitor+Pc+Mouse+Mousepad) , because im tired of having headaches, i just want to fix it and get rid of it because i have always been a potato laptop player , and this, my first ever desktop pc experience was terrible,

Sorry for such a long thread, im just really annoyed, mad and tired of dealing with this computer , what could cause these problems? Why the hdds die?Why it doesn't want to boot with usb devices plugged in?

Specs:
Processor - FX-6300
GPU - RX550 4GB
Ram - 2X4GB Hyper ddr3
Mobo - MS 7641(FX)
HDD - 1st one that died was WD 1Tb 5400rpm and the other 2 were Toshiba 1TB 7200rpm
PSU - Inner tech SL-500K 500w (some cheap under $30 psu)

Try not to get too downhearted, you've had some rotten luck with your first PC. Let me reassure you that this is not the norm. These days, PCs are generally very stable and nothing like the hassle you've had. My last 3 have been super machines, stable and fast.

My feeling is that either your cheap power supply is killing the drives or the place who is 'fixing' it isn't replacing them.

May 1, 2019
Try not to get too downhearted, you've had some rotten luck with your first PC. Let me reassure you that this is not the norm. These days, PCs are generally very stable and nothing like the hassle you've had. My last 3 have been super machines, stable and fast.

My feeling is that either your cheap power supply is killing the drives or the place who is 'fixing' it isn't replacing them.
Yeah it could be the psu , i'll buy a new one and now i have an option to get my money back from that shop , and i will try another hdd brand,and if the pc works i will sell it. Do you think $400 is a good price for this setup?

May 1, 2019
So what was the solution in the end? I notice you've marked my post as best solution, but there were two possibilities in there..
What are the odds, the psu just arrived lmao,just now as im answering, so im about to install windows and see how it goes. I actually bought the same <Mod Edit> psu,but it's brand new and it's a new version of it,if something goes wrong i've got warranty for it anyways

Last edited by a moderator:
May 1, 2019
So what was the solution in the end? I notice you've marked my post as best solution, but there were two possibilities in there..
So i successfully installed windows and am currently replying using the fixed computer. On first boot there was a strange click sound in the hdd,but i haven't heard it for 2 hours now.
Im not sure if i am going to continue using this computer or i am going to sell it, because im afraid of something breaking again.

May 1, 2019
All the problems were caused by a faulty ram stick! (The dying hdds,booting problems etc.)
I booted up my pc and i noticed that only 4gb of my 8gbs were usable,after restarting the pc my monitor wouldnt show anything, so i tried removing the ram and putting it back in,still no boot, removed the stick and everything booted perfectly, im so pissed that one dead ram stick can be such a pain in the ass! I would never even think that the ram could kill harddrives! ;D

I highly doubt the RAM stick was the cause and is just another symptom. There is no way a RAM stick could kill HDD’s. I think the most likely cause is the crap quality PSU. Buying the same psu again was a mistake, for little more you could have got something reasonably ok quality wise.

All the problems were caused by a faulty ram stick! (The dying hdds,booting problems etc.)
I booted up my pc and i noticed that only 4gb of my 8gbs were usable,after restarting the pc my monitor wouldnt show anything, so i tried removing the ram and putting it back in,still no boot, removed the stick and everything booted perfectly, im so pissed that one dead ram stick can be such a pain in the ass! I would never even think that the ram could kill harddrives! ;D

There is no way that a faulty RAM stick will kill a hard drive. It can corrupt it but that's not physical dmg.