Question What could cause this issue?

BSM911

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2013
Hi,
I am having weird issues with my pc, and I am not sure if this is a ram specific issue or if my GPU is also bad.
I have a refurb RX 580 8gb, and I have seen the following graphical glitches.

I am in the processing of upgrading from my current setup to a Ryzen one, and I already know that my RAM is faulty (memtest showed an error after a few hours)

I can still return my GPU, so I wanted to ask if these issues are GPU specific or most likely RAM related, as my Ryzen parts on which I can test won't be arriving for a while.

Thanks!

Full Setup:
Fx-6300 @ 4.3 Ghz
8 Gb DDR3 RAM @ 1600Mhz
ASUS M5A99FX EVO R2.0
XFX 550W Bronze PSU
SAPPHIRE RX 580 NITRO+ 8GB

BSM911

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2013
missing image is the gpu/psu. vertical tearing is the monitor

Considering I never had this issue on my old gpu (7950) which used the same psu, I would be more inclined to assume it is a gpu issue rather than a psu issue. I guess I will have to return it then :(

For the vertical tearing, I tried with a replacement monitor of the same model, which had the same vertical tearing issue (this wierdly only happends when I leave the computer locked and come back to it some time later)

Didn't think that this would happen to both!

Is there any chance the vertical tearing could be due to the GPU? It is a consistant tear which goes away if I unplug and replug the HDMI cable.

Thanks for you help,
B