[SOLVED] What could have caused the screen to go black?

Countess_C

Reputable
Aug 24, 2019
Suddenly when I was about to watch a video on Youtube the monitor went black. The computer was still on and the fans were spinning normally. Using the reset button did nothing, nor did turning the power supply off and on and turning the PC on again. Nothing on the screen. Not even the Gigabyte Aorus logo.

I tried another HDMI cable, another monitor, my old graphics card, checked all the cables. Nothing.

Then I took out the CPU, and the pins looked fine. Put on new thermal paste and put it and the cooler back. Turned the PC on, but still nothing on the screen.

Then I unplugged everything and carried the PC to the kitchen table, thinking that the motherboard must have problems. I plugged in my spare monitor and thought "what the heck" and turned the computer on, and NOW it works again.

If the problem was caused by Windows 10 or a driver, then I would at least have gotten the Gigabyte Aorus logo on the screen and the computer would have tried to boot?

I'm looking at the temperatures, and on the motherboard the highest temp is 48ºC (118ºF) and I assume it's the chipset. But that's not too hot. The CPU is 39ºC.

Could it be a motherboard or CPU problem? But why is it working again? :confused2:

daPain58

Proper
Sep 30, 2019
Suddenly when I was about to watch a video on Youtube the monitor went black. The computer was still on and the fans were spinning normally. Using the reset button did nothing, nor did turning the power supply off and on and turning the PC on again. Nothing on the screen. Not even the Gigabyte Aorus logo.

I tried another HDMI cable, another monitor, my old graphics card, checked all the cables. Nothing.

Then I took out the CPU, and the pins looked fine. Put on new thermal paste and put it and the cooler back. Turned the PC on, but still nothing on the screen.

Then I unplugged everything and carried the PC to the kitchen table, thinking that the motherboard must have problems. I plugged in my spare monitor and thought "what the heck" and turned the computer on, and NOW it works again.

If the problem was caused by Windows 10 or a driver, then I would at least have gotten the Gigabyte Aorus logo on the screen and the computer would have tried to boot?

I'm looking at the temperatures, and on the motherboard the highest temp is 48ºC (118ºF) and I assume it's the chipset. But that's not too hot. The CPU is 39ºC.

Could it be a motherboard or CPU problem? But why is it working again? :confused2:
The wire got loose probablt, and them got corrected

Sent from my CPH1729 using Tapatalk

Countess_C

Reputable
Aug 24, 2019
I checked the cables. All were fine and clicked in place.

Now a moment ago the computer rebooted for no reason.

In the event log I get:

Event-ID: 41
"Kernel-Power
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding crashed or lost power unexpectedly."

Event-ID: 6008

"EventLog
Warning
The previous system shutdown at 08:18:05 on 2019-11-03 was unexpected."

What's this?
Log name: Program
Source: ESENT
"DllHost (3560,D,35) Internet_NOEDP_LEGACY_IDB: Den tömda översiktsfilen "C:\Users\XXX\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Indexed DB\Internet.jfm" tas bort. Anledning: ReadHdrFailed."

It says "the emptied something file .... is removed. Reason: ReadHdrFailed

Countess_C

Reputable
Aug 24, 2019
Hm, according to CPU-Z that the RAM are now downclocked to 1197.6 MHz, so 2400 MHz, and CL 16.

And they used to run as 3200 MHz CL 14. (I have G.skill Flare-X 3200 CL14.

I'll try to turn on XMP again. And maybe I should run MemTest86+?

Countess_C

Reputable
Aug 24, 2019
Went into BIOS, and yes, it had reset. I have turned on XMP again, and now the RAM runs at the correct speed. I should probably still run MemTest86+ later.

I saw that there's a new BIOS released two days ago, but I'm not sure if it would help since the release notes doesn't say anything about RAM.

Countess_C

Reputable
Aug 24, 2019
Windows Memory Diagnostic tool didn't find any faults with the RAM. The RAM still runs at the correct speed, and the computer has worked fine today. Oh, I updated the graphics driver earlier.

Tips, advice and thoughts are still welcome. I don't want this thread to become a blog. :p

Countess_C

Reputable
Aug 24, 2019
Five minutes after I wrote the post above the screen went black again, but this time there was no reboot. I've turned the power off and on, but it doesn't boot.

Someone on the Gigabyte forum wrote "OK, I fixed my problem, apparently there is a problem initiating the gpu during post for 1080ti users, and you have to disable csm support in bios. Of course, to do that, I had to convert my boot drive from mbr to gpt, didn't realize when I cloned it that it was a legacy drive, anyway, there's videos on youtube to do it without losing data, so that was easy enough. "

I have a GTX 1060, but it could be the same problem, and it would explain why the screen is black. BUT I have tried the old Radeon HD 6850 card and still got no picture. And I can't change anything in BIOS if the screen is black anyway. :rolleyes:

Maybe I can use Q-Flash+ and update the BIOS. I'm not sure if I need to remove the CPU and other hardware to do that?

Edit: LOL, of course Q-Flash Plus didn't work, even if I removed all the hardware except for the power.

Last edited: